Errors prove costly as Diss are beaten in high-scoring game

Lachlan Brown-Bates attempts to muscle his way through for North Walsham against Old Priorians on th

Lachlan Brown-Bates attempts to muscle his way through for North Walsham against Old Priorians on the Saturday. For a full report on a surprise defeat for the Vikings turn inside. Picture: Hywel Jones - Credit: Archant

Unacceptable errors in defence coupled with an inability to maintain regular possession from their own line-out cost Diss the opportunity of returning from Hertfordshire with the spoils.

Fullerians possess a rugged and heavy pack of forwards that put the visiting eight under immense pressure from the start.

The hosts scored on eight minutes following dominance at the scrum and Diss losing possession at crucial times.

Barnaby Chenery stepped up on 10 minutes to reduce the deficit with a well struck penalty and both sides then exchanged penalties before Fullerians scored again following forward dominance and clinical finishing. With half an hour played Jake Girdler intercepted a speculative pass to sprint from deep within his own half to score a timely Diss try.

The visitors now found some continuity and following a further Chenery penalty attacked through Isaiah Hooper close to the left hand touch line and a superb inside pass from Hooper sent Connor McBryde racing over to give the visitors a half-time lead.

You may also want to watch:

Diss started the second half on the front foot, creating forward momentum through driving play led by Stephen Hipwell and Xavier Valentine.

Sadly three missed tackles then allowed Ben Stanger to run 75 metres to score an ultimately decisive try. Chenery stepped up to give Diss a one-point lead following an offside infringement at the breakdown but Fullerians replied with two excellent tries.

Most Read

Whenever Diss tried to respond, frailties at the line-out and an inability to structure passages of play consistency cost them. Eventually, from an attacking ruck deep within the home 22, Alex Leader shot through a gap to score a well taken try but with the conversion missed, Diss still needed to find another scoring opportunity. The structure of the game had by now totally disappeared, with both sides finding holes across the whole field.

With minutes remaining Diss entered the Fullerians' half to be awarded a penalty which Chenery converted to give the visitors a vital bonus point.

To have returned home with at least some reward was vital for Diss, who are still 12 points clear of the bottom two.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus