England Under-21s build on Norwich win
Stuart Pearce hailed his 'gutsy' England players after watching them seal a hat-trick of Uefa Under-21 Championship finals appearances with a tense play-off victory over Romania.
England built on Friday's 2-1 victory at Carrow Road on Tuesday when they ground out a goalless draw in the second leg of their tie in Botosani to book a place at next summer's tournament in Denmark.
Their passage was far from serene, however, with Romania missing more than one good first-half chance to score the goal that would have seen them progress, with keeper Frank Fielding pulling off a number of fine saves.
England rarely threatened but Pearce was naturally satisfied with the final outcome.
'On Friday we played extremely well; today we didn't play extremely well,' he said. 'What we did show was determination and it was a really gutsy performance, certainly from the goalkeeper. He was fantastic. He's got a knack of keeping the ball out of the net and I think he only conceded one goal in six games.
'Right through the team, we showed guts. A few things were said at half-time in the dressing room, and the players took that on board.
'We showed some more spirit in the second half of the match and we're just pleased to be here.
- 1 Carriageway of A11 closed after air ambulance called to crash
- 2 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 3 Drink driving teacher crashed into church wall with baby in car
- 4 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 6 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 7 11 indulgent spa getaways in East Anglia
- 8 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 9 Norwich Airport TUI flight delayed by 42 hours
- 10 Recycling centre closures planned as part of £15m County Hall cuts
'The 10-day get-together was about getting two results to get to the finals.'