Enfield Ignatians 37, Lowestoft & Yarmouth 20
L&Y travelled down to Enfield expecting to face a different side to the one they trounced earlier in the season and so it proved, even though they battled non stop and the final score flattered the hosts.
Enfield started at a pace, with a converted score inside five minutes, but the visitors hit back when Ben Selby found a galloping Ryan Oakes on his outside for a fine try. Dave Tiueti missed the conversion but slotted a penalty after Enfield had scored another converted try.
With five minutes left in the half a long Russ Chapman pass to the right gave Callum Cashman and Oakes the opportunity to send Tiueti over in the far corner. Again he was unable to make the difficult kick, but L&Y were only a point adrift.
However, they crucially conceded a score just before the break after a break from Selby took play up to the Enfield 22. A superb tackle and turnover caught L&Y unawares and before they knew it the Enfield broke and trotted under the posts.
L&Y had the advantage of a slight slope in the second half, and when Papo Semedo easily claimed a line-out ball an excellent drive took them all the way to line, with Oakes emerging with his second try. Tiueti made the kick and it was game on.
You may also want to watch:
Enfield then converted a couple of soft penalties and managed to grab the deciding score when their strong right wing cut back against the grain and through for a final converted try. L&Y emptied their bench in an attempt to bring some fresh impetus and the final 15 minutes were spent largely in the home half but just to rub salt in the wound, a solitary incursion into the L&Y half led to another successful penalty, and the game petered out.
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 4 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 5 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Jail for 'Jekyll and Hyde' builder who made customer 'fear for her life'