Empresa Norfolk League leaders Dragons III go six points clear
- Credit: Archant
Norwich Dragons III moved six points clear at the top of the Premier Division as they recorded a big away win while their closest rivals were cancelling each other out.
The match of the day in the top flight saw Norwich City III and Broadland - in second and third places respectively - draw 2-2 and they both lost ground on Dragons, who hammered Dereham III 9-0 at Greenfields Road.
Nat Beale led the way for the leaders by scoring four times while Maddy Reynolds contributed two goals and Hannah Ellis, Sam Franklin and Hazel Knights were also on the scoresheet.
Broadland scored first at Taverham after the fleet-footed George Stannett had raced down the wing and driven the ball across the face of the goal. Although the keeper parried the ball, the alert Dani Parke swept the rebound firmly into the net.
City responded well and equalised through Holly Robinson before Parke was on hand to snap up another goal in identical circumstances to her first.
You may also want to watch:
Parke might have claimed a hat-trick when faced with an open goal but fluffed her lines and Rachel Fields, Broadland's sweeper and star player, could only watch in disbelief in the final minutes as Rachel Gregory equalised with a shot that appeared to be taken from outside the circle. City's star player was Kim Lusher.
Norwich Dragons V broke a long run of defeats, and scored for the first time since November, when they drew 1-1 with Evergreens (Amy Forse) while Dragons IV won 1-0 at Harleston Magpies IV (Caroline Wolfe).
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 6 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
- 7 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 8 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 9 Banham Zoo welcomes birth of two tiger cubs
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
Norwich City IV won 2-0 at Loddon, with Heather Tasker and Alex Le Mesurier on target,
Division One leaders Pelicans II went down 3-2 at Diss but closest rivals Broadland II were unable to take full advantage as they were held to a goalless draw by visitors Norwich City V.
Broadland keeper Emma Piddock made a number of excellent saves as did City's Claire Richardson.
Broadland III lost 3-2 to Norwich City VI in Division Two.
Caroline Duthie and Amelia Anema scored for Broadland with Liz Hollis, Jess Ball and Kate Houldey getting the City goals.