Ely City 2, Great Yarmouth Town 0
A goal in each half extended Yarmouth's winless away record as they fell to defeat against third-placed Ely City.
Ben Lawrence gave the hosts the lead after 14 minutes before Josh Bridgeman capitalised on Richard Gammon's persistence to poke home the second.
The Bloaters made three changes to the side that were beaten by Haverhill last Saturday with new signing Micael Adamo joining recent recruit Diego Fernandes in the starting eleven.
Jordan Forbes also started in a line-up that had Sam Giacomelli, Leighton Crux and Fernando Vide all unavailable.
Ely began the game in a manner befitting their lofty position in the table, Diaper and Gammon both having heading opportunities within the opening five minutes.
And it was with their head that Ely took the lead. A corner from the right fell to Lawrence at the far post to power past Cudden.
One goal wasn't enough for the hosts as they continued to plough forward. Ely's consecutive corner wasn't dealt with by Yarmouth, the ensuing spell of head-tennis ended with Diaper's header being cleared off the line.
- 1 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 2 Revealed: Where dangerous parasite has been reported in Norfolk
- 3 Possible foot and mouth disease case investigated at pig farm
- 4 Care home which has sat empty for four years to be revived by new owners
- 5 Driver died in crash with tractor after misjudging corner on rural road
- 6 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
- 7 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 8 Train evacuated after hitting horse on Norwich to Diss line
- 9 Highways bosses reveal when A47 dualling work will start
- 10 Traffic delays after car plunges into underpass in Yarmouth
Yarmouth's inexperienced back four were spilt open two minutes later. Having already beaten Williams, Luke Parkinson from the byline chipped the onrushing Cudden to find Bridgeman who from 12 yards out fired wide of the upright.
Chances were coming thick and fast for the hosts and another chance came 90 seconds later. A cross from Impey fell to Wilson, whose blocked shot fell nicely for Diaper to volley first time from the edge of the area. A reaction diving save from Cudden to turn the ball round the post prevented the top corner being rippled.
Ely continued to apply the pressure throughout a half that failed to see a Yarmouth shot on or off target. Instead the hosts spurned chances to extend their lead.
On 32 minutes Sam Parkinson found his name-sake Luke who's curling effort from the left corner of the box rebounded off the inside of the crossbar, bouncing onto the goalline before being cleared.
Seconds before the half-time break Sterecki found Diaper with a 45-yard crossfield ball that was flicked onto Gammon, from the byline the striker rifled his shot across the six-yard box but no Ely player was close enough to apply the final touch.
The second half began as the first half had, with Ely in control of possession and chances, Bridgeman volleying over the bar after three minutes.
But the second goal came nine minutes into the second half; a throw from Ely level with the area looked wasted as Forbes tried to shield the ball as it ran out for a goal kick.
But the young defender wasn't counting on Gammon stealing the ball on the byline, poking it back to Bridgeman for an easy tap-in.
The game was over as a contest but Ely continued to spurn chances as the half went on. The trio of substitutes Chizango, Chadwick and McDonald combined well with Impey and Gammon to create goalscoring chances that were either blocked or fired wide.
The best chance came midway through the half as Chizango flicked Impey's deep cross to McDonald, but from the byline the substitute hit the side netting.
A minute later Ely came forward again. McDonals found Chadwick in the area and after rounding Cudden the striker's low shot was blocked by Barnden.
The pressure was broken momentarily for a rare Yarmouth attack, a positive run from Barnden allowed Formoso to find Fernandes, but a 30-yard drive from the striker flew over the crossbar for the Bloaters only attempt at goal.
But the attacks from Ely continued. Bridgeman stung Cudden's hands with a swerving effort after an exchange of passes with McDonald.
And seconds before the full time whistle another throw was taken to Chizongo to try and flick the ball with his heel but his extravagant effort flew over the crossbar.
• Great Yarmouth Town: Ben Cudden, Liam Williams, Philip Watkins, Callum Jones, Jordan Forbes, Micael Adamo, Lewis Popham (Alex Formoso, 72), George Barnden, Marian Jobbagy, Charlie McAra, Diego Fernandes (Ross Hepburn, 83). Unused Subs: Lee Hackleton.
Bookings: Adamo 44
• Ely City XI: Lee Pacey, Chris Sterecki, Sam Parkinson, Kenny Smith, Ben Lawrence, David Wilson, Nick Impey, Josh Bridgeman, Richard Gammon (Richard Chadwick, 65), Austen Diaper (Taz Chizango, 61), Luke Parkinson (Lewis McDonald ,67). Unused Subs: Adam Murray.
Bookings: Sterecki 42
• Goals: Ely: Lawrence (14), Bridgeman (54)