Elspeth Jamieson shines for Norfolk with javelin gold at English Schools Championship
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk's young athletes again rose to the occasion at the English Schools track and field championships at the Alexander Stadium in Birmingham.
Elspeth Jamieson won the senior girls javelin event, despite intense competition, with a throw of 43.34 metres. The top five were all within two metres. This performance now places Elspeth second in the national under-20 rankings.
Perhaps the surprise of the meeting was the performance for the outstanding second place achieved by the under-17 boys' relay team. Keiron Shah, Jack Dearden, Dominic Burnham and Jordan Livermore raced to a time of 42.66 seconds. That time places them second in the national under-17 rankings and is a new county record.
Wesley Matsuka-Williams triple jumped 13.01m for an excellent third place in the under-15 boys event while Ross McLachlan will be very pleased with his 6.95m long jump. This put him in fourth place just two centimetres off bronze position.
Laura Johnson managed sixth place in the senior girls 200m with a time of 25.99 seconds and Elliot Holland was sixth in the under-17 boys 400m in 49.77. Scott Greeves survived the qualifying rounds of the senior 800m and finished eighth in a personal best time of one minute 53.11 seconds. Curiously he was the only middle distance runner in the Norfolk team. Another eighth place went to Katie Clarke in the under-17 girls 300m hurdles in 45.81 seconds. Ed Borrmann was also eighth in the senior boys pole vault with a clearance of 4.20m. Daniel Bainbridge managed another eighth place in the under-17 boys javelin with a throw of 55.58m.
You may also want to watch:
Next year Norfolk's athletes face the long journey to Gateshead.
- 1 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 4 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 5 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 6 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 7 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 8 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 9 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job