Edwards leads way as West bounce back in style
EASTERN COUNTIES LEAGUE: West Norfolk bounced back from their first defeat of the season as they beat Crusaders 36-6 at Gatehouse Lane.
Edwards led the way with a hat-trick to keep West breathing down the necks of the top two in Division One, Cantabrigian and Stowmarket.
Edwards opened the scoring with a try converted by Maule and then Trims jinked his way over, with a Maule penalty making the score 15-0 at the break.
Singleton burst down the right to stretch West's lead after the break before two further tries from Edwards further increased the home side's advantage.
Crusaders grabbed a deserved consolation try near the end but there was no doubting it was West's day.
You may also want to watch:
Holt are fourth in the table after beating Harwich and Dovercourt 15-8 to record their fifth win in seven league games.
The hosts made a bright start and after 12 minutes Girling made a good break and following some inter-passing, Jarry-Ryan scored a try in the corner to put his side 5-0 ahead.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 5 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 6 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 7 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 8 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
This inspired the hosts to play some of the best rugby of the match and two minutes later Woods scored from a push-over scrum.
Holt were still not finished and scored their third try in seven minutes when Robson outpaced the defence on the left to touch down, giving his side a 15-0 lead.
Holt went looking for the fourth try and a bonus point, but they could not deliver the killer blow and the visitors reduced the arrears with a penalty before adding an unconverted try after the interval.
At the foot of the table Fakenham had something to smile about at last as they beat fellow strugglers Thurston 17-12 to record their first win of the campaign.
In Division Two Thetford also won for the first time as they returned from Lakenham Hewett with a 38-11 success.
The leading Norfolk side in the section at present are Dereham, who won 28-20 at Hadleigh to make it three wins out of five.