Eastern Counties League: Thetford continue strong start in Vase
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Thetford Town's impressive start to the season has continued with progress in the FA Vase against local rivals Ely City.
Striker James Dean and an own goal were enough for the Brecklanders to win 2-1 at home against their Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties Premier Division rivals.
It is a fifth win from seven games for Mark Scott's side so far this season, following a season of struggle which saw them finish only slightly clear of the relegation zone.
They will now travel to United Counties League Premier Division side Peterborough Sports in the second qualifying round and face Ely again on Saturday away in the league.
Kirkley & Pakefield also sealed their progress to the second qualifying round, beating Diss Town 2-1 at home.
You may also want to watch:
Diss took the lead through Jordan Rocastle in the 23rd minute but a deflected Ross King shot equalised for the Royals in the 57th minute to level the tie.
The home side then had the chance to take the lead in the 74th minute but Kyle Baker saw his penalty saved. The striker made up for his miss with five minutes remaining though, to grab the victory.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 3 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 4 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 5 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 6 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 7 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 8 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 9 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 10 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
Kirkley will now host Thurlow Nunn Premier rivals Newmarket Town in the next round.
Swaffham Town will not compete in the second round though after losing 2-0 at UCL Premier promotion hopefuls Yaxley.
In league action, Norwich United bounced back from their midweek defeat at Gorleston with a 2-1 home win against Ipswich Wanderers in the Premier Division.
The visitors opened the scoring five minutes before the break but Adam Bennett forced home an equaliser in the 55th minute and then top scorer Matt Blake put the Planters ahead in the 68th minute, scoring his eighth goal of the season.
Gorleston failed to build on that success though, losing 2-0 at Felixstowe & Walton United, while Fakenham Town slipped to a second successive 1-0 defeat when they lost at Brantham Athletic.
King's Lynn Town Reserves are up to sixth in the First Division table after winning 3-1 at Needham Market Reserves, thanks to goals from Adam Burch, Jack Frohawk and Shaun Stocker.
Great Yarmouth Town look to have got their season moving in the right direction after a 2-0 home win against Braintree Town Reserves, while Dereham Town Reserves drew 1-1 at Debenham LC.
Downham Town were in First Division Knockout Cup action, winning 4-2 at home against Leiston Reserves, with goals from David Coyle, Jack Gould, Harry Porter and Ben Longmuir sealing a first round tie against Halstead Town.