Eastern Counties League round-up: Yachtsmen back on course after Carey double
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2019
Wroxham made it back-to-back wins with a 3-0 home win over Premier Division bottom side Framlingham Town.
The Yachtsmen had endured a sticky patch when they went five games with just one point to show for their efforts.
But a win at FC Clacton followed by Saturday's Trafford Park success puts them just four points off top spot as the leading pack becomes ever more congested.
Joe Manning saw red for Wroxham but they made the breakthrough in the 65th minute with a low drive by Sonny Carey. Good play by Simon Lappin and a fine cross by Marcus Wilkinson set up Ryan Fuller to make it 2-0, before Carey got Wroxham's third near the end, after latching on to a long punt and rounding the keeper.
Wroxham are seventh, level on points with Kirkley & Pakefield and Woodbridge Town. Kirkley went down 3-1 at home to Walsham-le-Willows, The Royals, already hampered by injuries, were also without the suspended defender Lewis Flower and influential player of the season Kyle Haylock.
You may also want to watch:
Cameron Russell put Kirkley ahead five minutes before the break, but Sam Peters levelled on the stroke of half-time, before goals from George Bugg and Joe Boulter earned Walsham the points.
Great Yarmouth Town made it five wins in a row with a 4-0 home win over Hadleigh. The Bloaters' hopes of survival looked slim just a few weeks ago, but they have staged a remarkable recovery and are now fourth from bottom.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 7 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 Person dies after being hit by train
Once again, Stevenage loan duo Harry Draper (two) and Dylan Switters were among the goals, along with Joel Glover.
The Bloaters are now above Thetford Town, who went down 3-1 away to Woodbridge Town. Valter Rocha was on target for the Brecklanders, who have now lost six games in a row.
Norwich United extended their unbeaten run to four games with a hard-fought goalless draw at Haverhill Rovers. Craig Bussens headed just over, Haydn Davis shot just wide and Liam Jackson forced a save from home keeper James Philp for the Planters in a game of few clear-cut chances. Luke Pearson had to tip over a Mark Lovell drive and an Alfie Carroll header went narrowly wide but the defences won the day. The Planters move up to 12th place.
Gorleston battled with 10 men for an hour to win 2-1 at Whitton United. Mitch Mackay put the Greens ahead, before David Shade was controversially shown a red card on 26 minutes. Whitton replied soon after the hour, but Peter Lambert got the winner just a minute later.