Eastern Counties: Fakenham pick up where they left off, as Norwich Union thump Swaffham
- Credit: Russ Clarke
The new campaign started off with a clash of the top two from last season's Eastern Counties Two North standings, with champions Fakenham again edging Diss seconds.
Following the reorganisation of the Green King Eastern Counties League, the clash is now in EC One North, with hosts Fakenham racing into a 19-5 lead at the break thanks to two tries from Richard Warren and another from Adam Lingwood, two of which were converted by Tom Bane Young.
With the weather warming up in the second half and the ball drying out, both sides began to throw wider passes and bring the back lines more into the game. Despite this is was the Fakenham back row that struck next, through Howard Kellock and Ashley Stewart, with another successful conversion taking the score to 33-5
Norwich Union started with an emphatic 60-14 win over Swaffham, with nine different players scoring a total of 10 tries to Swaffham's two.
With only five minutes on the clock Graham Hunt scored the first of his brace for the day, before Matt Gyton galloped 40 metres to score, Simon Bunting adding the extras to take the score to 12-0.
You may also want to watch:
Further tries from scrum-half Lloyd Davis, captain Ben Bond-Webster, Callum Slaughter and Tom Whitehouse took the hosts into a 38-0 lead at the break.
Swaffham having been blown away in the first half came out firing at the start of the second scoring a converted try under the posts following some good driving play by their pack as the heavens opened making for slippery conditions for both teams.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 4 Man seriously injured after crash
- 5 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 6 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 7 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach
Union soon struck back through Craig Dunbar, fellow back rower Jon Spiker and evergreen Hunt for 55-7, before Swaffham replied from the kick off, catching the home team napping to score their second and final try.
The last try of the game came from a perfectly weighted kick from fly-half Simon Bunting – who kicked five conversions – an international bounce allowing right wing Dan Norgate to gather and score in the corner to take the final tally to 60-14.
Elsewhere, it was Beccles who were also off to a winning start, with a 45-15 success away at Great Yarmouth Broadland.
• For full results, go to ecrurugby.com