East Women’s League: Pelicans’ promotion charge suffers a setback

Pelicans' bid for promotion from Division 1N received a blow with a 4-2 defeat against one of their main rivals, Saffron Walden.

Walden took the lead from a penalty flick and doubled their advantage soon afterwards.

Pelicans fought back and Charlie Redhead's shot hit the post before Frankie Hall made it 2-1. Rachel Drohan netted the equaliser, before Pelicans had another goal disallowed.

Another penalty flick saw Walden restore their lead and they added a fourth from a short corner to move to within two points of Pelicans, with two games in hand.

Norwich Dragons eased their relegation fears with a 6-3 defeat of Norwich City, who were condemned to the drop as a result.

Ika Lo fired home from a penalty corner to give Dragons a dream start and it was 2-0 when Marie James swept the ball past the City keeper.

Emily Anthony reduced the deficit, but just before half-time Dragons were awarded a penalty and James converted to make it 3-1 at half-time.

Most Read

Claire Baker's solo effort increased Dragons' lead and James completed her hat-trick before Anna Horsley gave City hope with their third. Dragons made it safe when Baker broke down the left and crossed for Shelly Seaman to finish from close range.

Having already been crowned as champions of Division 2NE, Harleston Magpies II celebrated in style with a 7-0 demolition of Norwich Dragons II.

Saffron Wilford set the ball rolling with the first goal and Anouska Hipperson added two more before half-time.

Krystal Bishop kept the momentum going in the second half with the fourth goal and Lucy Whiting then converted a penalty flick.

Bishop and Wilford both notched their second of the afternoon to complete the rout.

Lydia Lawrence's late equaliser gave Broadland a 2-2 draw at home to promotion-chasing Sprowston.

Kerry Hamilton gave Sprowston the lead with their first attack of the game, but Broadland equalised through Tracey Buxton after Helen Brockington's shot had been saved.

Carolyn Fildes converted a short corner to put Sprowston back in front after the break, before Lawrence's late intervention.