East Women’s League: Olympian on losing side at Harleston

Even former Great Britain Olympian Kath Johnson was unable to save Pelicans from a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Harleston Magpies II in Division One North.

Magpies dominated from the start and took the lead from a short corner, with Anouska Hipperson deflecting in Kira Wooltorton's strike.

A strong half-time team talk resulted in the girls starting the second half determined to get a better return from all their possession. The whole team started to link together better and Georgie Minta soon doubled their lead by deflecting in a well struck cross from the right.

This lifted the team's confidence and led to them playing some of their best hockey of the season so far. Holly Baker made it three from another short corner and Minta completed the scoring with her second of the game from close range.

In the last few minutes Pelicans pushed hard and won themselves two short corners, calling Siobhan Cleeve into action the first time in the match, making two assured saves.

Magpies are top after three games with seven points, while Dereham are just a point behind them in fourth position after beating Cambridge Nomads 2-1.

Norwich City beat Framlingham, formerly known as Carlton Park, 3-2 in Division 2NE. They took the lead against the run of play through Emily Anthony, who beat four defenders and threaded a shot through on the near post.

Most Read

Framlingham scrambled an equaliser and continued to press, and might have gone ahead but for some outstanding work by Gina Hunt in goal. City started to make the most of the breaks and it was not long before Anthony struck again with a shot deflected in off a defender's stick.

Again City could not hold their lead and went into half-time level.

In the second half Anthony had a goal disallowed for a stick tackle earlier in the move and a penalty corner hammered a post. But just as it looked as if it wasn't going to be City's day, a neat reverse pass found Anna Horsley who fired the winner.

Norwich Dragons hammered visitors Ipswich and East Suffolk 8-0 to maintain their 100pc record.

The home side started with a high tempo and captain Marie James opened the scoring with a diving effort. The second was soon to follow; some excellent work by Laura Shreeve allowing Shelly Seaman to open her account for the season. The Dragons got a third before half-time with Seaman the provider for Shreeve.

The home side continued to push forward and youngster Lizzie Cheesman started the scoring in the second half, smartly deflecting a cross which gave the keeper no chance. Cheesman then dribbled past the IES defence before sliding the ball through for Shreeve who neatly slotted home. Cheesman then scored a second before Shreeve completed her hat-trick for the second consecutive week.

Norwich Dragons II returned from Sheringham with a point after a 1-1 draw with Panthers.

Despite good efforts from Claire Baker and Sophie Cullens, Dragons couldn't get past a goalkeeper in good form and the home side took the lead.

Dragons continued to battle, and finally beat the keeper following a broken down short corner, smartly tucked away by Claire Baker.

The second half saw Dragons continue to put pressure on with some good work by Klara Moolman and Niamh Lowe Davies, but they couldn't turn it into goals.

Sprowston Ladies gained a vital three points, winning 2-1 at local rivals Loddon, despite not being at their best.

After losing a player through injury in the warm-up, they had a reshuffle, leading to a debut for Helen Aston, who made an impressive start for the club in midfield.

Player of the match Marie Hood, Carolyn Fildes, Sam Tea and Kerry Hamilton caused a lot of problems and won a number of short corners. One of these resulted in Becky Cox finishing well to give Sprowston a well deserved lead. Then another spell of continued presure led to a second goal for Cox, when her shot deflected in off a defender's stick.

Loddon put a lot more pressure on Sprowston in the second half, scoring a goal to make the last quarter a nervy one for the away team. However, through team spirit and determination, Sprowston managed to hold on to their lead.

Broadland shared the spoils with visitors North Walsham in a 2-2 draw.

Although North Walsham started brightly, they were soon put under pressure by Broadland's inspirational Helen Brockington, who drove at the visitors' defence to set up Holley Becker for the first goal of the game.

North Walsham levelled before Nikki Kent finished a lightning Broadland foray by crashing the ball in off the post, only for the visitors to equalise again. With Broadland's captain Rachel Aldous harshly sin-binned the game became a little fraught and it ended all-square.