East Men’s League roundup: Dereham avenge defeat to Chelmsford
Mark Hunter's first ever hat-trick helped Dereham avenge their 6-0 defeat to Chelmsford earlier in the season as they beat the Essex side 3-1 at home on Saturday.
The centre back opened the scoring from a penalty flick as Dereham held a 1-0 lead at half-time. After the break, Dereham keeper Tom Vaughan was adjudged to have impeded a Chelmsford striker and the visitors converted the penalty stroke.
Dereham were then awarded the third penalty stroke of the match, following a foul on Will Edwards. Hunter powerfully dispatched the flick into the same corner as his first effort.
The hosts made the game safe from a penalty corner as Hunter flicked the ball low into the bottom corner to complete his treble.
Norwich City are now three points adrift at the bottom after their 4-1 defeat at home to Cambridge City.
You may also want to watch:
Jim Pallister was the goalscorer for City.
Norwich Dragons' challenge at the top of Division 2N faltered with a 3-1 defeat at home to Sudbury.
- 1 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 2 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 4 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 5 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 6 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 7 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups
- 8 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 9 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 10 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
The visitors took the lead in the first minute and doubled their advantage midway through the first half from a penalty corner. A breakaway goal handed Sudbury their third before Dragons finished strongly, with man-of-the-match Ben Miles beating two defenders to fire in for the hosts.
Norwich City IV remain third in Division 4NE after beating bottom side Ipswich IV 4-0, with goals from Tim Armstrong (2), Tim Crane and Mike Marrison.
City's fifth team recorded their fourth league win of the season as they beat Harleston Magpies VI 2-0 courtesy of goals from John Huntington and Tim Armstrong.
Runaway Division 6NE leaders Norwich Dragons III were 3-0 winners at home to Norfolk Nomads. Alan Quinton scored twice and Adrian Kemp was also on target.