East Men’s Hockey League: Hunter hits target again for Dereham
Dereham moved into mid-table safety with a 3-0 derby victory over relegation-threatened Norwich City.
With three victories over City already under their belt this season, Dereham started confidently. They went ahead in the opening minutes of the game as Ric Timm broke clear and with just the keeper to beat, he coolly slotted home.
Despite having plenty of possession, City's chances were limited and when Bob Hammond did break through, he was denied by keeper Tom Vaughan, who then saved Jim Pallister's follow-up.
Dereham extended their lead in the second half when Mark Hunter's drag flick crept through the keeper's legs and soon afterwards another Hunter shot hit the post.
Hunter rounded off the victory with another drag flick from a short corner, taking his tally to seven goals in the last three games.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham's second team also tasted success over local rivals as they beat Norwich Dragons 3-1 in Division 2N.
John Allison opened the scoring for Dereham and the same player then broke clear to make it 2-0 at half-time.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 3 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 4 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 7 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 8 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 9 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 10 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
Alex Browne reduced the arrears for Dragons, collecting a through ball and slotting past the keeper. As Dragons piled forward looking for an equaliser, they were caught on the break, with Graham Campbell scoring Dereham's third.
Norwich City IV cruised to a 6-1 win against Watton in Division 4NE.
Goals from Tim Crane (2), Mike Marrison (2), Sam Sharples and Luke De Pear Brown gave City a 6-0 lead before Watton grabbed a late consolation.
Norwich City V suffered the dubious honour of becoming the first side in Division 5NE to drop points against bottom side Sudbury as they lost 4-3 in Suffolk.
City three times came from a goal down to equalise, with strikes from Guy Marchant (2) and John Huntington, but Sudbury grabbed a late winner.
In Division 6NE, Norwich Dragons III beat Norwich City VI 4-1 with goals from Adrian Kemp (2), Andy Key and Will Kirby.