Early morning course inspection for Fakenham races
Chris HillOfficials at Fakenham racecourse will stage a 7am inspection to assess if tomorrow's Countryside and Forces Raceday can go ahead.As well as a full National Hunt programme, the scheduled racing includes a charity event to raise funds for the Countryside Alliance and forces charity Help for Heroes.Chris Hill
Officials at Fakenham racecourse will stage a 7am inspection to assess if tomorrow's Countryside and Forces Raceday can go ahead.
As well as a full National Hunt programme, the scheduled racing includes a charity event to raise funds for the Countryside Alliance and forces charity Help for Heroes.
The race is due to feature former point-to-point riders including Norfolk-based Light Dragoon Lt Guy Disney in his first competitive race since losing part of his leg in a grenade blast in Afghanistan.
With mixed forecasts for the next 24 hours at the north Norfolk venue, clerk of the course David Hunter decided to call an early-morning check.
You may also want to watch:
'We have conflicting reports regarding what we could get, with one forecast saying we will get some rain or sleet and overnight temperatures getting down to minus 3C or 4C,' he said.
'Another forecast says the rain or sleet will arrive later, meaning overnight temperatures will remain above freezing, so we'll just have to see.'
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 6 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 7 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 8 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
If the event goes ahead, the charity race is due start at midday, followed by the first National Hunt race at 1.35pm.