Early exit for Colin Oates at World Judo Championships in Kazakhstan
- Credit: PA
Norfolk's Colin Oates has bowed out of the World Judo Championships in Kazakhstan in the preliminary stage.
The North Lopham judoka was competing in the under-66kg category that he won gold in at last summer's Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
The 32-year-old beat Turkmenistan's Kemal Amanov and Slovenia's Andraz Jereb on the second day of the event but missed out on a place in the quarter-finals in Astana when he was beaten by home favourite Yeldos Zhumakanov.
Oates missed out on a medal at the London 2012 Olympics but is still hoping to qualify for next summer's Olympics in Brazil.
British Judo elite performance coach, Jean-Paul Bell, said: 'I was happy with his preparation and the way he was fighting. He got caught with a nice piece of judo and at such an event as the World Championships these things happen and once you get caught it's all over.
You may also want to watch:
'I am a little bit disappointed for him not being able to get into the final block and of course he will be disappointed too, but we know that we have to look at the bigger picture which is the Olympic Games next year.'
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 5 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 6 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 7 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 8 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 9 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 10 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events