Disappointment for Norwich as Saffron Walden win EAPL play-off final
- Credit: Archant
Norwich have been relegated to the Norfolk Alliance after a seven-wicket defeat against Saffron Walden in the East Anglian Premier League play-off final.
After losing the toss and being put into bat, Norwich's openers struggled with both Jack Newby (2) and Martin Grellier (7) falling victim to Alex Hancock, who went on to claim six wickets.
Only Chris Borrett offered much resistance as he tried to steady the innings with a well made 57 from 75 balls before Mihir Chandraker took his wicket.
Norwich finished on 156 all out as Chandraker struck again, bowling Jamie Mirner (13) in the 46th over.
The weather then intervened and the hosts were set a revised target of 142 from 40 overs.
It proved to be well within Walden's grasp despite Ashley Watson claiming openers Stephen Larsen (0) and James Rushford (9) early in the innings. Giles Ecclestone came to the crease and his 85 from 90 balls, including three sixes, took his side to victory and ensured Walden will be playing in the East Anglian Premier League next season.
- 1 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 2 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 3 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 4 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 5 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 6 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
- 7 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 8 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 9 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
- 10 Suspect identified in seafront hate attack