Disappointment for Norwich as Saffron Walden win EAPL play-off final
- Credit: Archant
Norwich have been relegated to the Norfolk Alliance after a seven-wicket defeat against Saffron Walden in the East Anglian Premier League play-off final.
After losing the toss and being put into bat, Norwich's openers struggled with both Jack Newby (2) and Martin Grellier (7) falling victim to Alex Hancock, who went on to claim six wickets.
Only Chris Borrett offered much resistance as he tried to steady the innings with a well made 57 from 75 balls before Mihir Chandraker took his wicket.
Norwich finished on 156 all out as Chandraker struck again, bowling Jamie Mirner (13) in the 46th over.
The weather then intervened and the hosts were set a revised target of 142 from 40 overs.
You may also want to watch:
It proved to be well within Walden's grasp despite Ashley Watson claiming openers Stephen Larsen (0) and James Rushford (9) early in the innings. Giles Ecclestone came to the crease and his 85 from 90 balls, including three sixes, took his side to victory and ensured Walden will be playing in the East Anglian Premier League next season.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000