Dutch delight at the UEA as hosts miss out on a University Korfball World Cup bronze
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
The future is definitely orange judging by Holland's domination of the inaugural University Korfball World Cup.
The country fielded two teams at the global tournament – which was staged at Norwich's UEA – following the late withdrawal of Russia due to visa problems. And the Dutch took the event by storm with both of its teams topping their respective pools to progress to the semi-finals.
Victories over Great Britain's first team and Taiwan set up an all-Oranje final which saw Holland's second team stun their senior counterparts 28-23 to claim the gold.
Hopes of any serious home glory were ended when Taiwan beat Britain 30-22 in the bronze-medal encounter while the Brits' second-string finished last in the eight-team, three-day event.
An IKF statement said: 'The final day produced an excellent day of korfball and showcased the sport well in front of watching FISU delegates. Not only did the final two matches of the day record over 50 goals in each of them but the match for fifth – Turkey vs China – went down to the final few seconds with Turkey snatching a 25-24 victory. #
You may also want to watch:
'The match for seventh place saw Hong Kong beat Great Britain II by golden goal 18–17. Overall 187 goals were scored in an exciting day's korfball in front of a large, enthusiastic crowd.'
Video and pictures shot and edited by photographer Denise Bradley.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 4 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 5 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 6 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 7 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 8 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 9 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 10 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall