Dublin keen on Sky Blues return

Dion Dublin has given Norwich City one glimmer of light in the November gloom by confirming he will be fit to face his old club in their next match.The Canaries are out of action until Coventry City visit Carrow Road in the Coca-Cola Championship on Saturday week.

Dion Dublin has given Norwich City one glimmer of light in the November gloom by confirming he will be fit to face his old club in their next match.

The Canaries are out of action until Coventry City visit Carrow Road in the Coca-Cola Championship on Saturday week.

And 38-year-old Dublin, who missed last week's defeats by Watford and Plymouth Argyle because of a hamstring injury, says he will be ready to return against the Sky Blues.

Dublin, sidelined since he was substituted at half-time in the 2-2 draw with Ipswich - new boss Glenn Roeder's first game in charge - had the chance to run the rule over City's next opponents when he was at the Ricoh Arena on Monday night to see Coventry beaten 4-0 by West Bromwich Albion.

And he said he was well on the road to recovery.

"The next game will be Coventry at home, so I will be ready to play," said Dublin, well aware of the Canaries' desperate need for a win after taking just two points from their last 11 games.

Most Read

"I don't think we've had a lot of luck, to be honest, which is no excuse," he said.

"I think the way that individuals have played has not been good enough.

"If individuals play badly, the team can't play better and that's what has happened. We've just been very poor and deserve to be down there at the bottom of the league."

Roeder may have extra cause to welcome Dublin's return with on-loan central defender Martin Taylor facing a battle to be fit.

Taylor limped out of Saturday's disappointing 3-0 defeat at Plymouth in the first half because of a groin injury and the City boss admits he will be "touch and go" for the Coventry game.

Like Dublin, winger Luke Chadwick is expected to be available after also suffering hamstring trouble.

One player who won't figure at Carrow Road is Coventry's in-form striker Michael Mifsud, who was shown a straight red card for a challenge on West Brom defender Carl Hoefkens.

Mifsud said yesterday he was "devastated" that he will miss the Sky Blues' next three games.

The Maltese striker was sent off for an elbow just 10 minutes into the match but says the challenge on the Belgian right-back had no malicious intent.

"I know that I have let myself down, let my team-mates down and let the fans down," said the 26-year-old, who has scored seven goals in nine Championship starts this season, as well as the two strikes at Old Trafford that famously knocked Manchester United out of the Carling Cup.

"I am guilty of not keeping my eye on the ball when I went up for the challenge but I would never intentionally try and injure another player.

"I thought he was going to jump higher than he did - but I never meant to elbow him. "I know that my sending off had a big impact on the match and I am truly, truly sorry for that has happened.

"I am devastated that I will miss the next three games and I hope I can make amends when I can play again."