Driven out: New-boy Ryan Robbins leaves King’s Lynn Town after abuse from minority of club’s fans
- Credit: IAN BURT
Gary Setchell has blasted the small minority of fans he insists have driven Ryan Robbins out of King's Lynn Town.
The Linnets boss hit the roof at the weekend after one of his big-name summer signings decided to leave the club before even kicking a ball due to some supporters' continued animosity towards him on the internet.
The Leicester-based 25-year-old now looks likely to sign for Evo-Stik Premier Division rivals Barwell and Lynn's manager is absolutely furious to have lost the services of the electric frontman.
Setchell said: 'I'm absolutely gutted. We've lost a very, very good striker because some people couldn't let bygones be bygones for the good of the team.
'Ryan thinks it's safer for his son to watch him play his football elsewhere because he didn't want him to hear any of the abuse he's been getting. Ryan's a non-league footballer, a non-league footballer, he's not on thousands of pounds a week. The treatment of him by some has been an absolute disgrace.
You may also want to watch:
'He's not come in on a huge wage either, like some fans have been saying he has. I'm absolutely furious about it all. This job is hard enough as it is without losing a player of Ryan's calibre through non-footballing reasons.'
The striker, who had numerous run-ins with Lynn fans during his time with Coalville Town, bagged 34 goals last term and was expected to be a massive part of Setchell's plans. But now the Lynn manager is going to be forced to look for another hitman.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 5 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 6 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 7 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 8 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 9 Grab your binoculars to see the Moon, Mars and Uranus together
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach