Dramatic penalty shootout at Fakenham Town won 12-11 by Kirkley & Pakefield
- Credit: Archant
Kirkley & Pakefield have won 12-11 in a penalty shootout at Fakenham Town this evening.
The shootout followed a 1-1 draw between the two Premier Division sides after extra-time at Clipbush Park in the Thurlow Nunn League Cup first round.
Josh Youngs equalised late on for Fakenham but Lewis Hammond eventually scored the vital penalty for Kirkley to seal progress for the Royals.
The match had finished 0-0 in normal time but Michael Tacon looked like he had won the tie in the 111th minute after the game went into extra-time.
Kyle Baker then had a chance to wrap the win up for Kirkley but home keeper Tommy Rix saved his penalty in the 115th minute, to begin the penalty dramatics.
You may also want to watch:
Youngs then equalised for the Ghosts in the dying embers of the game to tee up the shootout.
Fakenham keeper Rix stepped up himself to take the very first penalty – but blazed over the bar.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 4 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 5 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 6 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 7 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 8 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 9 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 10 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
The advantage kept swinging as the shootout continued into sudden death, to rest at 8-8 after 10 penalties each.
Rix made up for his missed penalty by scoring his second effort but after Fakenham's James Page fired over, Hammond was able to seal an exciting finale for Kirkley.
The entertainment certainly livened up a chilly night for both sides, and the 75 spectators at the game, with the Fakenham Twitter account (@FakenhamTownFC) stating: 'All the best to @KPFCROYALS for the rest of the season. You won't get a dramatic night like that again, surely!'
To which the Kirkley account user replied: 'Thanks guys you too and you are correct, you don't get hardly any shootouts like that.'
Have you got a fun or quirky sport story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org