Dragons get off the mark
EAST WOMEN'S LEAGUE: Norwich Dragons crushed bottom side Sudbury 6-2 to register their first victory of the season in Division 1N.
Hannah Roney set the tone with an early goal and it was soon 2-0 as Hannah Hardy finished off a good move. Sudbury pulled one back but Marie James restored the two-goal cushion before half-time.
Straight after the break Sudbury's Ami Humphries fired the ball into the roof of the net to make it 3-2, but Claire Baker responded with a well-taken goal for the Dragons.
Tash Blyth beat the Sudbury keeper from the top of the circle to make it 5-2 and the same player completed the scoring with a deflection after a cross from player of the match Roney.
Watton came from a goal down to beat Saffron Walden 2-1.
You may also want to watch:
Saffron Walden scrambled home the opening goal in the first half, but Lynsey Reeves slotted in the equaliser from a penalty corner. Reeves repeated the trick to put Watton ahead and although they lost two players to the sin bin, they held on to claim the points.
Norwich City are still searching for their first points of the campaign following their 3-2 defeat at Carlton Park.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
The hosts stormed into a 2-0 first half lead before Sarah Shelly's shot reduced the deficit in the second half. Carlton Park then grabbed their third and although Amy Campbell scored City's second late on, there was no time to get the equaliser.
In Division 2NE, Broadland gained their first points of the season with a 3-1 win against Dereham II.
Carre Mills powered home Broadland's first goal and Tracey Buxton added a second with a penalty stroke. A sizzling shot from Dani Parke made it three before Emma Alsop netted a late consolation for Dereham.