Dowsett equals British record in Norfolk
- Credit: PA
Alex Dowsett equalled the record for victories in the British National Road Time Trial Championship by registering a sixth win in west Norfolk on Thursday.
The Team Katusha-Alpecin rider, who came third last year as 2018 Tour de France winner Geraint Thomas lifted the title, was the penultimate rider off and completed the 25.9-mile course on the Sandringham Estate in 49 minutes and 25 seconds.
When team-mate Harry Tanfield, the final rider, crossed the line two minutes behind, Dowsett joined Stuart Dangerfield (1995 to 2005) as the only other man to claim six national titles in the discipline.
Ribble Pro Cycling's John Archibald was second with Stephen Cummings, of Team Dimension Data, finishing third.
In the women's race, over 16.6 miles, Alice Barnes made up for coming second to sister Hannah last year by topping the podium with a time of 36:27, 15 seconds better than Hayley Simmonds.
You may also want to watch:
Her sister Hannah finished a further 17 seconds behind in third.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 3 Man seriously injured after crash
- 4 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 5 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 6 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 7 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 8 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 9 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 10 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region