Dowsett equals British record in Norfolk
- Credit: PA
Alex Dowsett equalled the record for victories in the British National Road Time Trial Championship by registering a sixth win in west Norfolk on Thursday.
The Team Katusha-Alpecin rider, who came third last year as 2018 Tour de France winner Geraint Thomas lifted the title, was the penultimate rider off and completed the 25.9-mile course on the Sandringham Estate in 49 minutes and 25 seconds.
When team-mate Harry Tanfield, the final rider, crossed the line two minutes behind, Dowsett joined Stuart Dangerfield (1995 to 2005) as the only other man to claim six national titles in the discipline.
Ribble Pro Cycling's John Archibald was second with Stephen Cummings, of Team Dimension Data, finishing third.
In the women's race, over 16.6 miles, Alice Barnes made up for coming second to sister Hannah last year by topping the podium with a time of 36:27, 15 seconds better than Hayley Simmonds.
You may also want to watch:
Her sister Hannah finished a further 17 seconds behind in third.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 7 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143