Double joy for Norfolk women’s teams at National Inter-County Championships
- Credit: Submitted
Two of Norfolk's women's teams have completed a double success at National Inter-County Championships play-off finals in Dudley.
The over-60s beat reigning champions, Hereford and Worcester, and the over-50s beat Essex to also take their title.
The over-60s were 2-0 down after the singles but Sally Farman and Mary Ogden improved Norfolk's chances by beating the doubles pair comfortably.
They then had to take on the two singles players in their second doubles, and competed very well in a tight match to win the championship tie-break third set 11-9.
The match then stood at 2-2, so Caroline Blincoe and Jane Ling needed to win the last rubber against the doubles pair, which they achieved comfortably, giving Norfolk the title.
You may also want to watch:
The over-50s played Essex the following day and were soon 2-0 up due to excellent singles performances by Tricia Peal and Judy Horn.
Jane Ray and Sue Rich played the first doubles, but came up against strong opposition and lost in two sets. Peal and Horn then played the doubles pair, only losing a very close third-set tie-break, 9-11.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 6 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 7 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 8 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 9 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 10 Parking debate and police focus part of crackdown on 'keyed' cars
Again the match depended on the final rubber and Ray and Rich played very well to win in two sets to seal the victory.
Norfolk Ladies Seniors Coordinator, Jane Ling, said: 'Apparently it is the first time for Norfolk men's or women's teams to ever achieve the top position in division one of the county league, so for both teams to win was a fantastic result.
'Both teams were very appreciative of the supporters from Norfolk who had given up their weekend to be there to encourage them.
'Also grateful thanks to coach Murray Parfitt for the excellent match preparation, and to Andrew McNeil at Virgin Active Norwich for making courts available for practice.'