Double joy for Norfolk women’s teams at National Inter-County Championships
- Credit: Submitted
Two of Norfolk's women's teams have completed a double success at National Inter-County Championships play-off finals in Dudley.
The over-60s beat reigning champions, Hereford and Worcester, and the over-50s beat Essex to also take their title.
The over-60s were 2-0 down after the singles but Sally Farman and Mary Ogden improved Norfolk's chances by beating the doubles pair comfortably.
They then had to take on the two singles players in their second doubles, and competed very well in a tight match to win the championship tie-break third set 11-9.
The match then stood at 2-2, so Caroline Blincoe and Jane Ling needed to win the last rubber against the doubles pair, which they achieved comfortably, giving Norfolk the title.
You may also want to watch:
The over-50s played Essex the following day and were soon 2-0 up due to excellent singles performances by Tricia Peal and Judy Horn.
Jane Ray and Sue Rich played the first doubles, but came up against strong opposition and lost in two sets. Peal and Horn then played the doubles pair, only losing a very close third-set tie-break, 9-11.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 6 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 7 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 8 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 9 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 10 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
Again the match depended on the final rubber and Ray and Rich played very well to win in two sets to seal the victory.
Norfolk Ladies Seniors Coordinator, Jane Ling, said: 'Apparently it is the first time for Norfolk men's or women's teams to ever achieve the top position in division one of the county league, so for both teams to win was a fantastic result.
'Both teams were very appreciative of the supporters from Norfolk who had given up their weekend to be there to encourage them.
'Also grateful thanks to coach Murray Parfitt for the excellent match preparation, and to Andrew McNeil at Virgin Active Norwich for making courts available for practice.'