Double GP2 podium for Hingham’s Team Air Asia in Valencia
Team Air Asia continued to make their arrival in GP2 look easy with a pair of Main Series podiums during the weekend in Valencia.
The Hingham outfit was clearly the top performer from Norfolk's contingent in the Formula One feeder series, as they saw Davide Valsecchi follow up his feature race win in Monaco with third around Valencia on Saturday.
Team-mate Luiz Razia – sixth in the opener – went one better in Sunday's sprint race, taking second with Valsecchi third as the Norfolk team overtook Carleton Rode's Isport to sit second in the teams' championship.
Chief race engineer Humphrey Corbett said: 'I am beyond words – I am really happy to see Luiz up on the podium where he belongs. He had a good race today and didn't put a foot wrong. Davide did a couple of good overtaking manoeuvres and climbed through the field.
'From an engineering point of view, we are still missing something, because there were quicker cars out there than us, so we have got to investigate that, but for the moment we will celebrate our two podiums and a smashing weekend all round. I'm very happy for the whole team and a great way to head into Silverstone.'
You may also want to watch:
Team Air Asia, sisters to Formula One constructor Team Lotus, are competing in their first GP2 Main Series since being formed.
Isport's Sam Bird (fifth) did at least collect four points from Saturday's feature race, while Group Lotus-backed French team ART saw Esteban Gutierrez win Sunday's sprint race.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 4 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 5 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 6 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 7 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 8 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 9 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
- 10 Delays on A47 following crash
Griston's Super Nova Racing and Attleborough racer Rodolfo Gonzalez were well out of points contention.