Doreen Stevenson recognised at Godric Cycling Club dinner in Bungay
A highlight of the Godric Cycling Club dinner at Bungay was the presentation of a clock inscribed 'Time well spent' to Doreen Stevenson – a member for over 50 years, whose service to the sport as a timekeeper is appreciated far beyond the Waveney Valley.
It proved a special evening this year for the club, as Doreen fell down in Harleston in December, 2010 and incurred serious injury.
After spending time at hospital, the club was glad to say she has almost completely recovered.
Doreen use to ride her bicycle out to races in all weathers to time events loaded up with body numbers, watches, boards and any other equipment she may have needed, timing riders out and in.
Service to cyclists in another vital area was marked by the award of the Gong Trophy to Caroline Dwen, proprietor of Rosie Lee's in Loddon, where food and good company – both such essential elements of the club cycling world – are available in such full measure.
You may also want to watch:
Dave Hatcher received the award for best member and the top time-trial award went to Simon Scott.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 6 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 7 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 8 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 9 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 10 Parking debate and police focus part of crackdown on 'keyed' cars