Dorchester Town 0 King’s Lynn Town 2: Linnets maintain 100pc start to the season

Michael Clunan scored the opener for King's Lynn Town at Dorchester on Saturday. Picture: Matthew Us

Michael Clunan scored the opener for King's Lynn Town at Dorchester on Saturday. Picture: Matthew Usher

King's Lynn maintained their 100pc start to the new league season with a comfortable victory at the Avenue Stadium.

The three points came courtesy of a late first half penalty from skipper, Michael Clunan and a close range Craig Parker header eight minutes into the second half.

Linnets boss Ian Culverhouse was satisfied with the performance of his team but suggested that there will be even better performances for Linnets fans to enjoy as the season progresses.

'It was a good away performance,' he said. 'We were very professional and I felt that we bossed the game. We were looking to control the game and were good in parts but we will be better.'

The Linnets had a couple of injury problems to contend with in Dorset with Michael Gash out with a knock sustained against Bishop's Stortford whilst Ryan Fryatt had to be withdrawn at half-time.

You may also want to watch:

Looking back over the matches played so far, Culverhouse added: 'It's been a good start but this league is a marathon and we will be taking one game at a time.'

Dorchester's Tom Blair drew a good early save from Linnets keeper, Alex Street, but Parker nearly opened the scoring only to see his effort cannon off the crossbar.

Most Read

Dorchester skipper, Gary Bowles, blocked a shot from Leon Mettam but the ball ran loose to Tom Siddons who hit the side-netting from six yards. Parker then set up Siddons whose drive was turned away for a corner by home stopper, Chris Weale.

Street made another good save on the half hour to beat down a fierce drive from Billy Lowes. The only low point in the Linnets' afternoon came shortly after when Mettam picked up a yellow card for a foul on Lowes.

Siddons surged into the six yard box but could only drag his shot wide but a poor clearance from Craig Laird fell to Mettam who was fouled just inside the box by Sam Lanahan. The resultant penalty kick was confidently drilled home by Clunan. Another Weale save denied Siddons in first half stoppage time.

Just after the break, Street turned aside a great strike from Blair before Parker connected with a left wing centre from Mettam to head past Weale from six yards for the important second goal.

Parker sent a near post effort over the crossbar, substitute Toby Hilliard intercepted an underhit back pass only for his shot to be smothered by the Magpies keeper while a spectacular 30 yard late effort from Sam Gaughran also flew just over as King's Lynn looked to add to their tally before the final whistle.

Dorchester Town: Weale, Laird (Bearwish 66), Clarke, Bowles (c), Storey, Carmichael, Lanahan, Lowes (Egan 66), Blair (Beasley 72), Panesar-Dower, Martin. Subs not used: Griggs, Buckler

King's Lynn Town: Street, Norman, Blake-Tracey, Gaughran, Fryatt (Ward 46), Jarvis, Clunan, Parker, Siddons (Gillies 86), Mettam (Hilliard 80), Hawkins. Subs not used: Warburton

Bookings: Mettam (foul 36)

Referee: Lee Rutter (Poole)

Attendance: 371

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus