Dorchester 2 King’s Lynn Town 0: More away-day blues for Linnets

King's Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell.

King's Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell. - Credit: Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images

Gary Setchell's King's Lynn Town endured another fruitless trip to Dorset as they went down to defeat at the Avenue Stadium in Dorchester.

The visitors, who had lost to Dorchester's bitter rivals Weymouth by the same scoreline in October, were undone by two second-half headers.

Things might have been different had Linnets skipper Sam Gaughran or half-time replacement Toby Hilliard been able to put away chances either side of the interval, but it wasn't to be.

A gusting wind was always going to cause problems for both sides and the Linnets played with it behind them in the first half.

Magpies defender Nathan Walker was caught dawdling on the ball inside the first five minutes but Jacek Zielonka scuffed his shot after dispossessing the centre-back.

The away side then went close when Liam Hurst's free-kick from distance was well saved by Alan Walker-Harris.

Lynn thought they should have had a penalty after Lee Stevenson went shoulder to shoulder with Dillon, before Gaughran had the best chance of the half.

Most Read

His shot from an unmarked position appeared to be heading in but Matt Oldring got in the way to block.

Lynn were forced into a change at the break when Hilliard was brought on to replace Zielonka.

The substitute almost made an instant impact less than two minutes after entering the fray.

He combined with Hurst and Stevenson before firing an angled drive which Walker-Harris pushed up in the air and then turned away for a corner.

The hosts finally managed an effort on target through Liam Sayers, who also fired over from close range after Gaughran had nearly found the back of his own net.

Having gone close on a couple of occasions, the Magpies finally made the breakthrough in the 69th minute.

Bradley Tarbuck beat his man to deliver an inch-perfect cross which Jonah Ayunga gleefully headed past Street.

A second for the home side looked as if it could follow immediately but Tarbuck side-footed his shot straight at Street.

However, with nine minutes left the Magpies did make it 2-0 when Walker outmuscled Street to head in from a few yards out.

There was no way back for the visitors after that and Street had to tip a deflected Charlie Davis corner onto his own crossbar in injury-time to prevent it becoming 3-0.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter