Diss wrap up promotion after an emphatic home success over bottom side
- Credit: PA
Diss have won the London Two North-East title – and in some style.
A thumping home victory over bottom-of-the-table Campion ensured they will be promoted.
Diss secured possession immediately, scoring through Philip LeLievre, following a flowing move involving backs and forwards alike.
From the outset Diss produced a running style of rugby that was way beyond the defensive structures of their opponents. That said, Campion adopted a wholehearted approach and played with courage and determination throughout the afternoon.
After five minutes a characteristic break from Warren Wilby sent Sean McClure over to establish a real foothold in the game. Chris Beaird then crashed through from outside the Campion 22 to score a splendid individual try.
You may also want to watch:
The bonus point was secured after just 25 minutes when John Laurie scored, having received possession from an off-load from Stephen Hipwell.
Campion then enjoyed a period of possession and should have scored themselves, but this Diss side have established a confident air when in defence.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 5 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 6 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
Led by Jamie Burroughs, attacks were repulsed, allowing LeLievre to break and feed Hipwell, who in turn found the rampaging Laurie.
Diss found themselves in the ascendancy at half-time with the tiring visitors showing real signs of falling apart in the second half.
Campion responded in a positive fashion after the break, creating chances of their own. But once settled into the half the floodgates began to open with the entire Diss team determined to join the party. LeLievre, yet again, jinked his way through to send captain Fraser Hall over the line.
On 50 minutes Wilby scored an outstanding individual try following yet another LeLievre break. As the game approached its final quarter a well-executed lineout drive allowed the ever-present Hipwell the opportunity to drive over the line from outside the Campion 22.
Further tries followed from Laurie and man of the match LeLeivre.
Todd Wishart scored two well-taken tries on his return to the first team following an extensive absence through injury.