Diss Town 1 Dereham Town 3 – Magpies recover from early shock to progress in Norfolk Senior Cup

Ryan Crisp scored Derehams first-half equaliser at Diss last night. Picture: Mark Bullimore

Ryan Crisp scored Derehams first-half equaliser at Diss last night. Picture: Mark Bullimore - Credit: Archant

Ryman League North side Dereham came from behind to see off their plucky Thurlow Nunn League opponents in an entertaining tie at Brewers Green Lane last night.

Lewis Butcher forced Matt Powley to save his low drive during the early stages following Frazer Blake-Tracy's corner and Sam Borrer blazed off target from distance as Dereham pressed. As the pressure continued Aaron Kay and the lively Luke Tuttle combined to release Rhys Logan, who hit a diagonal drive that Matt Powley turned aside for a corner.

But the visitors went behind in the 28th minute when the ball was flicked on by Sam Page to Callum Oplin in yards of space and the youngster progressed before planting a fine 20-yard drive into Will Viner's net.

Dereham responded with Butcher failing to finish Blake-Tracy's deep cross when well placed. Diss were then awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box and Jason Armes curled just over the top.

Dereham levelled matters in the 38th minute when Ryan Crisp converted Logan's deep cross from the right to make it all square at the break.

You may also want to watch:

The higher ranked side made a positive start to the second period and were rewarded in the 54th minute. Butcher delivered the ball into the home box and Powley could only palm the ball down, enabling the alert Tuttle to net from close range.

Powley did well minutes later to grasp Kay's long distance free- kick that skidded off the surface. As Diss kept plugging away Jason Cole's speculative 30 yarder flashed wide of the target before ex-Magpie Kyle Downes found space deep in the Dereham box but delayed shooting and the chance went begging.

Most Read

Logan came close to extending Dereham's lead with an instinctive volley that flew inches wide following Payton Swatman's pass.

The speedy winger then steered Crisp's cross over the top from point blank range as the third goal continued to prove elusive. However it finally came in the 86th minute when Sam Borrer guided home Swatman's ball from close range to put Dereham through to the next round.

• Norwich United bowed out of the FA Vase last night when they were beaten 1-0 at home by Essex side Hullbridge Sports in a re-arranged second round tie.

The game, which was interrupted by a floodlight failure, was goalless after 90 minutes and was finally settled by a Sam Taylor free-kick in the first period of extra-time.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus