Diss Saracens 24, Beccles II 5
A large crowd saw Diss Saracens come through a tough encounter to win the Norfolk Plate.
Andrew Horne opened the scoring after 20 minutes when he crashed over the line after a spell of Diss pressure. Beccles continued to cause difficulties at the breakdown but struggled to keep possession with Seb Goodge repeatedly kicking them back deep into their half.
From good line-out ball won by youngster Joe Brock the Diss backs showed their pace for Aaron Bliss to sprint under the posts with Goodge converting for a 12-0 half-time lead.
Beccles were camped on the Diss line for the first five minutes of the second half but couldn't get over and when Diss stormed up field youngster Fraser Barron showed great pace to skip through five tackles and set up Bliss for his second try with Goodge converting from the touchline.
Barron then scored a try himself before Beccles managed a consolation score late on.
The extra skill and pace of the Diss team proved the difference in a hard fought encounter that was a fitting end to the season for the Saracens.
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 5 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 6 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 7 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 8 Transport plans approved despite 'lack of' climate change measures
- 9 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 10 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed