Diss 7 Fullerians 29: Comfortable win for visitors at Mackenders

Norwich mount a rare attack at Rochford on a day they conceded over 100 points. Picture: ANDY MICKLE

Norwich mount a rare attack at Rochford on a day they conceded over 100 points. Picture: ANDY MICKLETHWAITE - Credit: Archant

A tepid performance from Diss gave their visitors the confidence to dominate proceedings and seal their victory.

After a scrappy start the hosts missed a series of tackles and Fullerians countered from midfield through a flowing backs move to score out wide and convert.

The big Fullerians' pack were dominating the scrums and breakdowns, putting their big ball carriers down the close channels to stay on the front foot. Once their backs received good fast ball they found the Diss defence lacking line speed and falling off tackles.

The Fullerians' 15 cut a good line in midfield to feed their 11 who scored a well worked try in the corner. The 15 continued to be influential all afternoon, cutting holes in the Diss defence and offloading with great efficiency. At half-time the score was 0-12, with the home team just about hanging on.

Five minutes into the second half the visitors' 15 again joined the line to initiate the next try, scored by their winger.

You may also want to watch:

Following a period of good possession the home team were awarded a penalty on the Fullerians' 22-metre line. A kick to the corner resulted in a line-out, which functioned well all afternoon, which won by Diss on the five-metre line. The resulting maul was very effective and Stephen Hipwell broke from the back to score and Forrest converted, reducing the arrears to 7–17. Fullerians' willingness to counter-attack from anywhere in the field resulted in their next try by their 13 who rode through three Diss tackles to score.

The Fullerians' nine then got into the action by scoring his first try from a ruck 10 metres out under the posts, with the scoreboard now reading 7-29.

Most Read

At this point, even with Hipwell, Hudson, Hall, Pask and Meyers trying to punch holes in the Fullerians' defence, the visitors held solid and no good ground was made. With 10 minutes to go, following a late and dangerous tackle on Beaird, the Fullerians 18 was shown a red card. Against 14 players the home side pressurised the opposition line several times but their defence held firm to see out a comfortable win.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus