Diss forced to settle for a draw after entertaining clash

Diss on the front footb during Saturday's entertained 34-34 draw against Saffron Walden. Picture: Jo

Diss on the front footb during Saturday's entertained 34-34 draw against Saffron Walden. Picture: John Grist - Credit: Archant

For the third home game in a row, Diss subjected their loyal support to a frantic, error ridden and thoroughly entertaining encounter.

An inability to retain possession and defend consistently yet again proved crucial at vital moments.

Saffron Walden's Tom Price opened the scoring following poor tackling within the Diss 22. The hosts responded with an attacking period of their own and Stephen Hipwell levelled with a try from 10 metres, allowing Chris Beaird to convert to re-establish authority.

Diss attacked yet again only to see a loose pass intercepted by Paul Marshall who raced the length of the field to score yet another converted try. On 30 minutes a well-executed line-out sent Adam Miles over to increase the visitors' lead to a 10 points.

Yet another promising Diss move that should have resulted in a try resulted in a second Walden interception that allowed Marshall to increase his side's lead to 22-7. A catalogue of inaccuracy and naivety had yet again put the Mackenders outfit on the back foot but they tend to show resilience when challenged, as highlighted by two well struck penalties from Beaird on the stroke of half-time.

Diss responded positively following the break and following excellent inter-play between Warren Wilby and Jo Brock, Freddie Precious was sent through to score a converted try.

Jon Trede and Warren Wilby both had outstanding games defensively, thwarting numerous attacks at source but poor discipline then impacted yet again, with Jacob Page sent to the sin bin.

Most Read

Diss attacked close to the Walden line only to give away a needless penalty that resulted in Tom Price scoring at the Diss end of the pitch.

As time slipped away Diss responded to the example being set by Hipwell by working the ball into the Walden 22 and a well worked set move sent Beaird under the post to yet again bring the scores level. For the first time Diss now took control and following a superb touch kick from Jack Peacock the rampaging Hipwell crashed over to give the hosts a seven point lead. The game should have been won but it summed up a disappointing home display when the visitors scored a final converted try through Tom Pyke to seal a draw.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter