Diss continue promotion push with fine win
Saffron Walden 0, Diss Town 3
Diss continued their promotion push with a third successive 3-0 win.
Saffron Walden are a difficult team to beat at Catons Lane so The Tangerines will regard this as a top-quality win.
The hosts started the game well and forced Matty Webster, back in the Diss team after missing the last five games due to injury, saved a Brad Green shot and a Joe Murphy header.
Stefan Gilding was influential at both ends of the field. He made a perfectly-timed tackle in defence just as Graeme Turner seemed set to shoot and score. He scored his first Diss goal a minute before half-time when he headed in at a long throw in from George Watts-Sturrock.
You may also want to watch:
The home side's task became even more difficult when Green was sent off in first half added time for kicking the ball at referee James Pope following a free kick award.
Webster did well to tip a header from Jamie Solkhon on to the bar but Diss had more of the second half attacking play. In the 84th minute a fine low cross from Jason Cole found Jordan Rocastle. He took the ball in his stride and turned and beat a defender before shooting in from ten yards out for his 19th goal of the season.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 8 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch
- 9 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 10 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
Two minutes from time Danny partridge was knocked to the floor by goalkeeper Ronnie Yates and a penalty was awarded. Stuart Garner stepped forward to shoot in to make the final score 3-0.
Diss team: Matty Webster, Jonny King, Stuart Garner, Mark Shadrack, Stefan Gilding, Jon Abbott, George Watts-Sturrock, Luke Catchpole, Danny Partridge, Jordan Rocastle, Sam Bryant.
Diss subs: Tom Deller (for king 87 mins), Andy Moody (for Partridge 87 mins), Danny Wynne and Jason Cole (for Abbott 75 mins).