Diss continue promotion push with fine win
Saffron Walden 0, Diss Town 3
Diss continued their promotion push with a third successive 3-0 win.
Saffron Walden are a difficult team to beat at Catons Lane so The Tangerines will regard this as a top-quality win.
The hosts started the game well and forced Matty Webster, back in the Diss team after missing the last five games due to injury, saved a Brad Green shot and a Joe Murphy header.
Stefan Gilding was influential at both ends of the field. He made a perfectly-timed tackle in defence just as Graeme Turner seemed set to shoot and score. He scored his first Diss goal a minute before half-time when he headed in at a long throw in from George Watts-Sturrock.
You may also want to watch:
The home side's task became even more difficult when Green was sent off in first half added time for kicking the ball at referee James Pope following a free kick award.
Webster did well to tip a header from Jamie Solkhon on to the bar but Diss had more of the second half attacking play. In the 84th minute a fine low cross from Jason Cole found Jordan Rocastle. He took the ball in his stride and turned and beat a defender before shooting in from ten yards out for his 19th goal of the season.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 5 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 6 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 7 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 8 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 9 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 10 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
Two minutes from time Danny partridge was knocked to the floor by goalkeeper Ronnie Yates and a penalty was awarded. Stuart Garner stepped forward to shoot in to make the final score 3-0.
Diss team: Matty Webster, Jonny King, Stuart Garner, Mark Shadrack, Stefan Gilding, Jon Abbott, George Watts-Sturrock, Luke Catchpole, Danny Partridge, Jordan Rocastle, Sam Bryant.
Diss subs: Tom Deller (for king 87 mins), Andy Moody (for Partridge 87 mins), Danny Wynne and Jason Cole (for Abbott 75 mins).