Diss 6, Bury St Edmunds 50
Diss suffered a heavy home defeat in their second London One North match of the season as neighbours Bury St Edmunds showed just why they are many people's favourites for promotion.
After last week's comprehensive victory over newly promoted Romford and Gidea Park this was always going to be a tough test for the hosts, with the heat merely adding to the challenge.
Diss started well, setting out their stall and playing as they did the previous week, but sadly this was not to last.
Bury showed the weakness they had last season in giving away a number of penalties for hands in the ruck and coming in at the side. Chris Beaird converted two opportunties and Diss maintained their composure during this opening quarter that left the score 6-5 in their favour going into the first of two mid-half water breaks.
It was the visitors' game from this point on. Whilst the possession and territory were more or less equal Bury capitalised on the opportunities that arose. On each occasion they were quick to move the ball away from the breakdown and score out wide.
You may also want to watch:
The defence and heart shown by Diss in continuing to battle hard resulted in two players being treated for heat exhaustion after the match.
Diss have a hard month of rugby coming and now look forward to Colchester knowing that they have the skills and players to build on the great opening result of the season.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 6 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 7 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 8 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 9 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 10 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
• Other results: Basildon 6 Brentwood 20, Beaconsfield 27 Ruislip 28, Chingford 18 Old Haberdashers 20, Luton 10 Letchworth Garden City 41, Rochford Hundred 27 Colchester 40, Romford & Gidea Park 29 Eton Manor 32.