Disappointing Dereham see perfect record broken by City

EAST MEN'S HOCKEY LEAGUE: Dereham surrendered their 100pc league record in Premier B with a 4-3 defeat to local rivals Norwich City on Saturday.

City took an early lead when Charlie Horn latched onto an aerial ball from Chris Perry and fed Toby Leonard. He set up Jez Elliott, whose shot was saved, but Horn followed up to knock in the rebound.

Dereham struggled to build any momentum, but drew level through a deflected short corner from Andy Lawrence. The same player then ensured Dereham went into the break with a 2-1 lead as he followed up his own short corner shot to bury the ball in the net.

City started the second half strongly and pulled level when Horn crossed for Pete Morgan to score.

A few minutes later City were in front as a clearance from defence found Mark Sibson and he slipped the ball past the Dereham keeper.

James Ashton crashed home a fourth to put City firmly in charge and although Lawrence completed his hat-trick to set up a tense finale, Dereham were unable to find an equaliser.

City's second team also enjoyed a profitable day as they claimed a 3-0 win at Cambridge University in Division 2N.

Most Read

Tom Hindle ended a thrusting run with a decisive finish to put Norwich in front against the run of play, and Matt Brine drilled home the second as City began to take charge.

Hindle converted a short corner to complete the scoring before half-time and although City had Richard Silvester yellow carded in the second period, they comfortably defended their advantage.

Norwich Dragons picked up a dramatic 3-2 win at Ely City.

Dragons started quickly and established a two-goal lead through Brown and Gould.

Ely pressed and pulled a goal back with a penalty stroke. Dragons conceded a penalty corner just as the umpires blew for the end of the half, and as the set piece was played out, the visitors thought they had cleared the danger as the ball was played out of the circle. The umpire, however, waved play on and with most of the Dragons defence having stopped, Ely played on and scored to make it 2-2 at the break.

Snelling dispatched a penalty corner in the second half to put City back in front and in an exciting finish, an Ely player missed a shot into an open goal after the umpire had played advantage when a Dragons defender blocked a shot on the line.

Norwich City IV made it five wins from five with a 7-2 victory at Dereham V in Division 5NE.

Nigel Cushion opened the scoring and went on to complete a hat-trick, with Sam Matthews and James Cross both scoring twice in a straightforward success.

In Division 6NE, Norwich Dragons III came away from Bury IV with a 1-1 draw.

Dragons went ahead when Mike Banham's shot from a short corner was saved and Andy Key swept the ball home. Bury notched the equaliser from a short corner early in the second half.