Devon and Tom claim clean sweep of titles
Devon Minnis and Tom Hinks both became triple county champions at the Ashaway sponsored U15 and U17 championships at Sewell Park College.
In the U15 event, 13-year old Minnis, nationally ranked 28th, opened her hat-trick with a 21-7, 21-6 singles victory over Kathryn Adamson before the two girls teamed up to win the girls doubles from Lauren Mortimer and Georgia Moyes.
The boys singles was more competitive. Top seed Dominic Ely was stretched in the first semi-final by Robert Fletcher before winning 16-21, 21-17, 21-18 while second seed Olivier Widdowson had an easier route to the final by beating unseeded Ben Page. In the final. Widdowson won 21-11, 21-14.
In the boys doubles Ely and Page won all their games to take the title while Widdowson and Sean Lott took second place from Ed Benton and Ben Sharman.
The event finished with the mixed doubles, which was decided in the last match when Ely and Minnis faced Widdowson and Adamson, with both pairs unbeaten. Widdowson and Adamson took the first set 15-9, but Ely and Minnis struck back to take the second 15-13 and then won the third 15-12 to give Minnis her county treble.
You may also want to watch:
There were two more titles for 13-year-old Minnis in the U17s event. She beat top seed Louise Thacker 15-21, 23-21 21-8 in the girls singles, then won the mixed pairs with Tom Hinks by beating Ed Allen and Thacker in the final group game, 15-17, 15-8, 15-13.
Top seed Hinks also won the boys singles, beating Josh Kent in the semi and second sedd Chris Parrott 21-8 in the final.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 5 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 6 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 7 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 8 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 9 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 10 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
The boys and girls doubles were both played in single round robin groups. After a number of close three set matches, the boys doubles was won by Hinks and Kent from Parrott and Allen.
The girls doubles was won by Amy Sharman and Lauren Read ahead of Thacker and Rebecca Leers.