Soham Tn Rangers 1 Dereham Town 4: Magpies make the most of perfect start
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham started 2018 in style with a comprehensive victory.
The Magpies got off to a perfect start, going ahead in the opening minute – and they never looked back.
The dangerous Rhys Logan cut in from the right and slid the ball through to Ryan Crisp who side-footed home from 12 yards.
Soham created a chance minutes later when Joe Bennett chipped towards Craig Gillies but he headed off target. Dereham keeper Elliot Pride was then forced to make a fine double save to deny Gillies and then Bennett.
Dereham were pressing on the boggy surface and just before the half-hour mark doubled their lead after keeper Josh Pope handled outside of his area. Jamie Forshaw curled the ball towards the bottom corner and Ashley Jarvis applied a finishing touch.
You may also want to watch:
Minutes later only a superb save from Pope prevented Crisp from putting the Magpies further ahead. Pope then had to be alert to save at the feet of Forshaw before Logan added Dereham's third a minute before the interval with a superb low drive .
There was still time for Soham to pull one back, Jack Mochalski capitalising on a mix-up in the visiting defence.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 5 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 6 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 7 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 8 Patients speak out as surgeon who botched surgeries still working
- 9 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
- 10 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
In the 55th minute, Logan lifted the ball into the path of substitute Danny Beaumont who volleyed over from 20 yards, but minutes later Dereham were reduced to 10 men when Stephen Taylor was harshly awarded a second yellow card.
Jarvis put Beaumont through but Pope made a crucial one-on-one save.
But Pope was soon back in the dressing room himself, shown a second yellow in the 75th minute after he upended Logan as he rounded him. Callum Russell took over between the sticks but could do nothing to keep out Beaumont's penalty.
Soham: Pope, Mochalski, Gardner (C Russell 45), Kaye, Bundle, Norman, Cardenas, Clayton, Gillies, Collen (Hobbs 68), Bennett. Subs not used: Bankole, Conway, Connor.
Dereham: Pride, Murphy, Taylor, Linford, Howell, Castellan, Logan, Hinton (Mason 82), Crisp (Beaumont 45), Forshaw (Cooper 65), Jarvis. Subs not used: Wengrizk, Bean.
Ref: A Wilson. Att: 180