Soham Tn Rangers 1 Dereham Town 4: Magpies make the most of perfect start
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham started 2018 in style with a comprehensive victory.
The Magpies got off to a perfect start, going ahead in the opening minute – and they never looked back.
The dangerous Rhys Logan cut in from the right and slid the ball through to Ryan Crisp who side-footed home from 12 yards.
Soham created a chance minutes later when Joe Bennett chipped towards Craig Gillies but he headed off target. Dereham keeper Elliot Pride was then forced to make a fine double save to deny Gillies and then Bennett.
Dereham were pressing on the boggy surface and just before the half-hour mark doubled their lead after keeper Josh Pope handled outside of his area. Jamie Forshaw curled the ball towards the bottom corner and Ashley Jarvis applied a finishing touch.
You may also want to watch:
Minutes later only a superb save from Pope prevented Crisp from putting the Magpies further ahead. Pope then had to be alert to save at the feet of Forshaw before Logan added Dereham's third a minute before the interval with a superb low drive .
There was still time for Soham to pull one back, Jack Mochalski capitalising on a mix-up in the visiting defence.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 4 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 5 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 6 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 7 13 cars targeted in tyre-slashing spree
- 8 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 9 City Council withdraws support for £153m Western Link
- 10 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
In the 55th minute, Logan lifted the ball into the path of substitute Danny Beaumont who volleyed over from 20 yards, but minutes later Dereham were reduced to 10 men when Stephen Taylor was harshly awarded a second yellow card.
Jarvis put Beaumont through but Pope made a crucial one-on-one save.
But Pope was soon back in the dressing room himself, shown a second yellow in the 75th minute after he upended Logan as he rounded him. Callum Russell took over between the sticks but could do nothing to keep out Beaumont's penalty.
Soham: Pope, Mochalski, Gardner (C Russell 45), Kaye, Bundle, Norman, Cardenas, Clayton, Gillies, Collen (Hobbs 68), Bennett. Subs not used: Bankole, Conway, Connor.
Dereham: Pride, Murphy, Taylor, Linford, Howell, Castellan, Logan, Hinton (Mason 82), Crisp (Beaumont 45), Forshaw (Cooper 65), Jarvis. Subs not used: Wengrizk, Bean.
Ref: A Wilson. Att: 180