Dereham Town 3 Tilbry 0: Cooper at the double as Dereham pick up three home points
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Dereham produced an excellent team performance to claim the points at Aldiss Park.
The Magpies got off to a good start, taking the lead after just nine minutes with a well-taken individual goal.
After picking up the ball in the centre of the park, James Cooper advanced before cracking home a powerful 25-yard drive.
Tilbury came close to equalising minutes later when Tobias Aromolaran's header struck the underside of keeper Elliot Pride's bar. Play remained open and visiting keeper Clarke Bogard made a good save from Rhys Logan's low drive.
The Dockers' Adam Vyse headed Ross Gleed's free-kick wide of the target.
You may also want to watch:
After a spell of Tilbury pressure, home skipper David Hinton found Logan with a long ball to the right. The tricky wide man cut inside and hit a fierce left-footer that rose over keeper Bogard's bar.
Tilbury forced Pride into a vital save as he acrobatically tipped Aromolaran's skilful overhead kick over the top.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
The Magpies increased their lead in the 37th minute. Hinton found Ashley Jarvis who released Cooper and the young striker progressed before slotting home his second. Only a fine close-range save by Bogard from Jarvis prevented Dereham extending their advantage.
In the 65th minute Jamie Forshaw fired over from 20 yards whilst off balance, but Dereham wrapped it up with 15 minutes remaining with another superb effort. The outstanding Logan turned his man inside out on the right before passing inside to Forshaw and the prolific number 10 hammered the ball into the roof of the net.
The Dockers had a chance to get back in the game in the 81st minute after Kristopher Newby was upended in the area, but Vyse could only clip the top of the bar.
Dereham: Pride, Murphy (Anema 65), Taylor, Linford, Howell (Ebbage 83), Castellan, Logan, Hinton, Jarvis, Forshaw, Cooper (Mason 55). Subs not used: Beaumont, Crisp.
Tilbury: Bogard, Little (Keith 67), Dance (Adebayo 32), Salami, Benoit, Odelusi, Newby, Carile, Vyse, Gleed, Aromolaran, Subs not used: Mead, Turpin, Wee.
Ref: P Quick. Att: 133