Dereham Town suffer shock exit from FA Vase

Dereham suffered a shock exit in the FA Vase after a 93rd minute goal condemned their 10 men to a 2-1 defeat at Haverhill Sports Association.

The other Norfolk representatives, Diss Town, also crashed out 1-0 at Ampthill, but Wisbech earned a replay following a 2-2 draw at St Ives.

Dereham travelled to Haverhill as firm favourites, with their opponents playing two levels below the Magpies.

The visitors' plans were disrupted when Gary Starling fell ill overnight, but they were boosted by the return of goalkeeper Andy Wilton.

Dereham created an early chance when Shaun Bammant's effort was well saved, but there was little goalmouth action at either end in the first half.

You may also want to watch:

The game burst into life just after the hour mark when Haverhill were awarded a penalty for a handball by Adam Gusterson. Harry Halls sent Wilton the wrong way from the spot.

Dereham brought on Scott Sutherland-Gray to replace Bammant, but before the striker had touched the ball he was sent off for a late challenge.

Most Read

The Magpies regrouped and equalised on 67 minutes when Craig Bussens headed home a Nicky Howell corner.

The tie appeared to be heading for a replay as Wilton's fine save kept out Matt Clarke's header in the 90th minute, but Clarke then fired home a volley from close range to bag his side the �1,200 prize money and a place in the third round.

Wisbech trailed 1-0 at half-time at St Ives, but Chris Bacon levelled matters with a 64th minute penalty.

Matt Lunn then put the visitors ahead, but St Ives equalised with a penalty of their own on 73 minutes.

There were no goals in extra-time and the sides now face a replay at the Fenland Stadium on Tuesday night.

Diss could not quite survive to earn a replay as they succumbed to an 89th minute goal, having played the final 30 minutes with 10 men.

The Tangerines had Brendan Foley sent off on the hour mark, but hung on until Alvin Rajaham's late winner.

In the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division, Dereham and Wisbech's Vase duties meant they slipped further behind leaders Mildenhall, who won 3-0 at FC Clacton.

Gorleston thumped CRC 6-1 as Bradley Hough registered his first hat-trick for the club.

Kevin Gook took charge of the team in the absence of manager Stewart Larter, but there was no adverse effect for the Greens as they took the lead through Jack Garrod's 25-yard shot.

Hough scored his first on 21 minutes and then added the third three minutes later. Christy Finch headed the fourth early in the second half, before Hough completed his treble with a low shot, taking his tally for the season to 11.

Hough went close to another on 69 minutes, but his shot was saved and from the rebound Chris Sandford was left with a tap-in for Gorleston's sixth.

The Greens were unable to keep a clean sheet, however, as CRC grabbed a consolation four minutes from the end.

Thetford lost 1-0 at home to Stanway.

The decisive strike came from the penalty spot in the 75th minute, with Luke Catchpole twice going close for Thetford.

Kirkley & Pakefield came from 3-1 down to claim a 3-3 draw at Felixstowe & Walton.

Ryan Crisp, Ross King and Kyle Baker were on target for the KP Royals.

Norwich United had Ben Jones sent off as they lost 1-0 at home to Haverhill.

Swaffham moved up to fourth in the First Division with a 6-1 win at March. Jack Redhead scored twice, including a penalty and the Pedlars' other goals came from Dean Miller, Joe Jackson, Lee Woolmore and Alex Vincent.

James Tricks scored for Fakenham in a 2-1 defeat at home to Debenham LC, but Downham were 3-2 winners against Stowmarket, with goals from David Coyle, Matt Dye and Matthew Bussens.

Mark Vincent made his 750th appearance for Great Yarmouth as they beat bottom side Cornard 3-1.

The 49-year-old was given a guard of honour before the game, but the Bloaters fell behind after just six minutes.

Joel Watts equalised from the penalty spot and in the second half an own goal and a Danny Scriven penalty earned Yarmouth the points.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter