Dereham Town’s win takes them back to top of Thurlow Nunn league
Dereham Town regained top spot in the Premier Division with a 2-0 win over Stanway last night, courtesy of a goal in each half from Nick Howell and Scott Roberts.
The Magpies lost top spot when they suffered a single goal defeat at title rivals Brantham on Saturday. But they only to wait three days to get it back as they made the most of their game in hand on the Essex side.
They made an ideal start when Howell slotted home Shaun Bammant's low cross from the left after only four minutes.
Bammant missed a great chance to double the lead when he headed Luke Tuttle's superb deep centre wide of the target, and he was then denied by a fine save from Paul Rutherford – before slamming the rebound against the right hand post.
Dereham keeper Andy Wilton had to be at his best to deny Stuart Fergus an equaliser after 58 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Rutherford then made further good saves from Adam Smith and Tuttle before saving Tuttle's well struck spot kick five minutes from time.
But it proved a short reprieved as, from Dereham's next attack, Ollie Willis was brought down and Scott Roberts this time made no mistake from the spot.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 6 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk