Dereham Town receive a helping hand from Norwich United

Downham boss Pete Brassett speaks to the referee at half-time. Picture: Ian Burt

Downham boss Pete Brassett speaks to the referee at half-time. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: IAN BURT

Norwich United stunned morning leaders Walsham-le-Willows with a 2-1 victory at Plantation Park – much to the delight of Dereham, who took full advantage by beating Diss.

The mid-table Planters' victory came courtesy of goals from Adam Bennett and Jordan Blyth and saw Walsham knocked off top spot by Brantham, who won at fellow challengers Mildenhall.

Dereham were the only other side in the top six to win on Saturday as they added to Diss' problems with a 2-0 success at Aldiss Park.

The Magpies took an early lead when Tangerines skipper Mark Shadrack headed into his own net. It soon got worse for the struggling visitors as goalkeeper Matthew Webster was forced off with an injury and Ashley Skeggs, normally an outfield player, took over between the posts.

Despite that setback, Dereham could not add to their lead and Diss almost equalised on 65 minutes when Matt Dixon rounded the keeper, but his goalbound effort was cleared off the line by Luke Hannant.

Luke Tuttle hit the post for Dereham before the striker finally sealed the points in the 86th minute.

Gorleston extended their unbeaten run to 10 games – but dropped to fifth after being held to a 1-1 draw at home by lowly Wivenhoe.

Most Read

Liam Harvey-Cooper squandered a golden chance to put the Greens in front on 39 minutes, but soon afterwards they did take the lead.The Wivenhoe defence blocked two efforts on goal, but the ball fell to Chris Sandford, who blasted it home.

Gorleston tired in the second half and it was no surprise when Wivenhoe levelled matters three minutes from time. After a defensive mix-up, Serge Strickland pounced to thump the ball home.

Thetford Town suffered the all too familiar sinking feeling of defeat as they lost 4-0 at fellow strugglers CRC.

The visitors, who have now lost 10 of their last 11 games, were 1-0 down after 16 minutes and the deficit was doubled four minutes later.

A penalty made it 3-0 before half-time and the hosts added a fourth two minutes after the break to move within three points of Thetford.

Ross King's injury time goal gave Kirkley & Pakefield a 2-1 win at home to Woodbridge.

Scott Woodcock put the hosts ahead after just six minutes and they held their lead going into half-time.

Both teams were reduced to 10 men on the hour mark and Woodbridge equalised with a header on 73 minutes.

Woodbridge then hit the post and Scott Roberts had a late goal disallowed for offside, before King struck in the second minute of added time.

In the First Division, Great Yarmouth racked up a 5-0 win at bottom side Cornard as Mitch Forbes fired a hat-trick.

Forbes opened the scoring before Danny Scriven made it two from the penalty spot and then Forbes added a third for the Bloaters in the first half.

Yarmouth skipper Callum Jones was sent off along with a Cornard player at the start of the second half, before Joel Watts made it 4-0.

Cornard had another man sent off before Forbes completed his hat-trick five minutes from time.

Downham's losing streak continued as they suffered a sixth successive league defeat, going down 2-0 at home to Halstead.

Liam Somerton scored for Fakenham as they drew 1-1 at Brightlingsea Regent and Swaffham were beaten 1-0 at Debenham LC.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter