Dereham Town on edge of glory after Wivenhoe win

Dereham Town moved to within a point of the league title after crushing Wivenhoe 4-1 on Saturday as they secured their 11th consecutive victory.

The win means Matt Henman's side need only a draw against Wisbech on Tuesday night when the Fenmen come to Aldiss Park after seeing off Wivenhoe with ease.

After a bright opening from the Magpies they hit the front just after the half-hour mark. Sam Borrer gained possession just outside the box and cut in from the left before unleashing a powerful right foot drive that thundered against Morrison's right hand post. The loose ball came out to Luke Tuttle who gleefully headed home from close range.

Dereham extended their lead in the 36th minute when Ryan Hawkins headed home Sam Borrer's centre. Tuttle made it 3-0 early in the second half when he latched on to Ollie Willis' pull-back but Wivenhoe got one back on the hour mark through Marley Spindler's 25-yard strike.

The Magpies made sure of victory four minutes from time when Craig Bussens struck from close range.

You may also want to watch:

Wisbech had a day to forget as they slumped to a 4-1 defeat at Hadleigh. Ollie Canfer opened the scoring in the 16th minute before Paul Donnelly doubled their lead shortly after.

It didn't get any better for the Fenmen at the start of the second period when Mark Gaisford made it 3-0 although Chris Bacon reduced the arrears with a header. It proved to be nothing more than a consolation though Scott Chaplin completed the scoring from close range.

Most Read

Gorleston claimed all three points at struggling FC Clacton with an impressive display. Keegan Middleton gave them an early lead and they wrapped up the victory in the second period through goals from Chris Sandford and Bradley Hough.

Norwich United cruised to a 2-0 victory at Felixstowe & Walton courtesy of Jordan Rocastle's brace while Diss lost 2-1 at Ely.

Great Yarmouth Town claimed an impressive 2-1 win at promotion-chasing Brightlingsea Regent in Division One whilst Fakenham strengthened their grip on fourth place with a 3-1 victory at Long Melford.

Melford took an early lead through Gareth Thomas but Fakenham stormed back into the contest in the second half through Ryan Pearson's double and Kyle Plumb got the third late on.

Swaffham were left to rue a late equaliser as they were held to a 2-2 draw at Ipswich Wanderers.

Rory Harper opened the scoring from the spot on 11 minutes but the Pedlars were pegged back before the break as Wanderers claimed an equaliser.

Harper won a second penalty midway through the second half and was as clinical as the first to make it 2-1 but Wanderers made it 2-2 with the last kick of the game.

Downham slumped to a 3-0 defeat at Saffron Walden to stay third from bottom.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter