Dereham Town 0 Bowers & Pitsea 3: Magpies pay price for poor first-half display
- Credit: IAN BURT
A dreadful first half performance in which Dereham Town gifted Bowers three goals cost them the points at Aldiss Park.
In the fourth minute the visitors won a free-kick 20 yards out and David Knight's effort was deflected behind. The resultant corner fell to the unmarked Jamie Dicks who netted from close range to give Bowers an early lead.
Dereham replied with Danny Beaumont exchanging passes with Jamie Forshaw before hitting a 25-yard curler that Bowers keeper Callum Chaffer was forced to tip over for a corner.
However, the Essex side extended their lead in the 14th minute when a slip from Robbie Linford allowed Knight to progress down the left before squaring to Fahad Nyanja who tapped home from close range.
The Magpies won a free kick just outside the box after Toby Hilliard was upended but Beaumont fired in to the wall.
You may also want to watch:
In the 30th minute Ben Sartain spotted Elliott Pride off his line and forced the home keeper to backpedal quickly to concede a corner from his superb long distance effort.
Dereham then came close when Linford headed Rhys Logan's centre firmly against the bar in the 32nd minute. The visitors continued to look the most likely and in added time more woeful defending from the home side enabled Lewis Manor to increase Bowes' lead.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 3 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 6 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 7 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 10 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
Dereham made a better start after the break and soon won two corners. They continued to press but could not create any clear chances.
Bowers nearly added a fourth when Knight was unlucky to see his 20-yard snap shot cannon back off a post.
The visitors then won a corner and John Easterford headed inches over the top.
Dereham: Pride, Anema (Murphy 76), Kelleher, Burgers, Castellan, Linford, Logan, Hinton, Hilliard, Forshaw (Jarvis 63), Beaumont (Crisp 75). Subs not used: Ebbage, Howell.
Bowers & Pitsea: Chaffer, Boswell, Thomas, Stokes, Easterford, Dicks, Salmon, Sartain, Knight (Calting 77), Manor, Nyanja. Subs not used: Clark, Catling, Ashman, Stokes, Adeniji.
Referee: Mr D Hanna