Dereham Town made to pay as chances go begging against Thurrock

Dereham Town's eight-match unbeaten run came to an abrupt end at Aldiss Park.

The defeat sees the Magpies drop to sixth in the table with manager Matt Henman left to rue a frustrating after-noon at the office.

Dereham started well and nearly caught the visitors on the break in the fifth minute when Shaun Bammant latched on to Daniel Morphew's long clearance before having a close-range effort deflected behind.

The Magpies surged forward again and defender Santos produced a vital inter-ception to thwart Luke Tuttle in the box.

As defences remained on top Santos made another fine tackle to stop Danny Beaumont in his tracks and soon after Olly Willis was on hand to clear a Knight header off the line.

As the half ended, Aaron Kay miscued Tuttle's deep ball from the right. Dereham came agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock soon after the restart when Morphew saw his point blank header saved.

Thurrock responded with Stanley and Warner both missing excellent chances when well placed. Play soon returned to the visitors' half with Kay warming Walker's hands with a 30-yard free-kick before Sommerfield headed a corner past the left post.

Most Read

In the 65th minute Tuttle looked set to score but keeper Walker excelled again to save from 10 yards.

Minutes later Walker again denied Tuttle as Dereham pressed. However, Dereham were left to rue their missed chances when they got caught by a quickly-taken free-kick in the 74th minute.

Clark played in Lewis Spence who hammered a low drive into the net. Thurrock doubled their lead when David Knight netted from close range after receiving Wall's pass in the 84th minute – disputed as Wall had been in an offside position.

In added time Thurrock's Hazlewood was dismissed for his second yellow within 10 minutes.

Dereham: Wilton, Willis, Morphew, Borrer, Howard, Sommerfield, Kay, Smith (Bussens 78), Bammant, Tuttle (Downes 88), Beaumont.

Subs not used: Pledger, Eastoe-Smith, Howell.

Thurrock: Walker, L Clark (Hazelwood 78), Sutton, Santos, King, R Clark, Perkins (Stanley 12), Spence, Knight, Wall, Warner. Subs not used: Ibe, Ottley, Martin.


Referee: Mr. P. Burnham.