Barking 1 Dereham Town 0: First-half goal sinks Magpies
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Dereham crashed to their fourth consecutive defeat in a poor match at Barking.
The visitors went close in the opening minutes when Joe Gatting's downward header was pushed around the post by home keeper Emmanuel Olajide.
Play flowed at a lovely pace from end to end before Danny Beaumont saw a fierce volley deflected behind for a corner in the 14th minute.
But the game was won and lost eight minutes later: Barking won a throw on the right, full-back Ricky Tarbard crossed into the area and Ben O'Brien rose to firmly head home.
The Magpies were finding it difficult to get their passing together on the damp surface and on several occasions the returning Andy Howell had to make important interceptions.
You may also want to watch:
Just before the interval Dereham goalkeeper Elliot Pride was forced to make a good save at the feet of Olajuwon Ogunwaide.
Immediately after the break, Gatting had a long-range drive saved by Olajide and the striker soon forced the keeper into action again.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 3 Man seriously injured after crash
- 4 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 5 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 6 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 7 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 8 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 9 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach
Dereham had a penalty appeal turned down in the 69th minute when David Hinton was upended, but they continued to struggle to create chances.
Dion Frary headed a Beaumont corner into Olajide's arms but they could not find a way through.
The defeat leaves the Magpies sitting in 16th position in the Bostik League North table, with their next match at home to Kempston Rovers in the FA Cup on Saturday followed by a league game at home to Romford seven days later.
Barking: E Olajide, R Tarbard, J Peart, B O'Brien, J McQueen, D Russell, J Edwards, A Seymour, A Obafemi (L Akanbi 64, D Cheema, O Ohunwamide (E Igahorae 73). Subs not used: R Kamara, D Maiorano.
Dereham: E Pride, D Frary, O Murphy, R Linford (A Jarvis 35), A Howell, J Manning, D Hinton (G Quantrell 70), A Smith (K Wengrzik 60), J Gatting, D Beaumont, A Hipperson.
Ref: J Pope