Dereham Town look to keep riding the FA Cup wave of emotion
- Credit: Neil Smith
Dereham Town will aim to carry on the FA Cup feel-good factor that has engulfed Aldiss Park when they return to league action in Essex.
The Magies won their second replay penalty shoot-out in as many matches in the famous competition during a dramatic clash with higher-level St Neots Town on Tuesday. And although Matt Henman's players will be physically and mentally drained from another 120-plus minutes of football, he'll be hoping they can keep riding the wave of emotion for their latest Ryman Division One North test.
The black and whites are undefeated in seven matches, having drawn their four FA Cup ties – they were forced to play Neots and St Ives twice to progress and could only be separated by spot-kicks after-extra-time on both occasions – and have won their last two league matches. But it will be another tough ask to keep that run of form going against a Harlow Town side this afternoon who sit second in the table. The Essex club are undefeated in their nine Division One North matches and have amassed 23 points, 10 more than the Magpies who have played a game less.
The hosts are joint top-scorers in the 24-team table, with 24 goals, but have decided to further boosted the striking options at their disposal this week. Manager Danny Chapman has signed 20-year-old forward Billy Jones from Essex Senior League outfit Enfield 1893. He is likely to go straight into the squad for the arrival of the on-song Magpies.
Harlow, however, failed to progress to the second qualifying round of the FA Cup – where Dereham will travel to Boston United next weekend – after they came out on the wrong side of their respective replay on Tuesday night.
You may also want to watch:
The Magpies' opponents today lost 4-2 against Grays Athletic.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 7 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143