Dereham Town have chance to get their own back on Cray Wanderers
- Credit: Archant
Dereham Town head to Kent looking to exact revenge on one of the world's oldest football clubs.
Cray Wanderers, formed in 1860, are right in the thick of the Ryman League Division One North play-off picture as the business end of the season approaches. But the same cannot be said for Dereham, who now look set for mid-table finish with boss Matt Henman publicly admitting he never expected anything more than a season of consolidation.
The Magpies' third season at Step Four of the non-league ladder had threatened another exciting push for a first top-five finish after a couple of near-misses. Yet a combination of dropped points and other sides' red-hot form has curtailed any outside hopes of the club's developing young side staging a late charge for promotion.
Dereham, who lost 2-1 at relegation-threatened Waltham Abbey in midweek, would have travelled to Cray with two extra points to their tally had they not suffered late, late heartbreak in the reverse fixture at Aldiss Park in October.
Omone Sodje netted early for Cray, now fifth and with a three-point cushion over the chasing pack, who dominated until the Magpies were reduced to 10 men and were suddenly inspired to force their way back into the game.
You may also want to watch:
Goals from Dan Morphew and a Luke Tuttle penalty in stoppage time seemed to have given the Magpies, currently 11th, the points. However, Sodje struck again to snatch a draw.
- 1 Emergency services block off city road
- 2 What are the outstanding Norfolk high schools?
- 3 Police officer apologises to father-of-four after trailer offence error
- 4 'A zest for life' - Tributes to popular rugby player, 44
- 5 RAF base warns of increased Apache helicopter flying activity
- 6 New branch of The Range set for city outskirts
- 7 Accident on A140 near pub as holiday traffic builds in Norfolk
- 8 Drilling rig work off Norfolk coast sparks emergency calls to Coastguard
- 9 Reflexologist ordered to tear down £2,500 fence
- 10 Thief banned from all Norfolk Co-op stores