Dereham Town flying after another high-scoring win
Dereham Town made it five wins on the bounce to open up a five-point gap at the top of the embryonic Premier Division season.
The Magpies hit four past FC Clacton without reply – a pair of own goals giving them a 2-0 lead inside 10 minutes.
Craig Bussens added a third on 25 minutes before Luke Tuttle completed the scoring with seven minutes of the half remaining.
Dereham have now bagged 15 goals in their five outings, conceding only two, and put clear air between themselves and Wisbech Town, who were beaten 2-1 at Brantham Athletic.
The Fenmen went behind against the run of play on 35 minutes but Ash Stevens equalised six minutes into the second half before the hosts claimed the points.
You may also want to watch:
Promoted Thetford Town are beginning to enjoy life in the Premier Division and moved into seventh with a 2-0 home win over third-placed Woodbridge.
Woodbridge failed to turn pressure into goals and were punished by a disputed free kick and a late penalty.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner
Thetford opened the scoring after 26 minutes with a superb free kick from Valter Rocha into the top corner and claimed the points in the final minute when Rocha's goalbound shot was handled by Kelsey Trotter, resulting in a penalty kick and a red card. Tom Cusack stepped up to score the penalty.
Thetford lost Liam Bolton in the closing seconds after his second yellow card.
There was more misery for Diss Town, who are rock bottom of the table after a 4-1 home defeat by Norwich United.
George Cole grabbed a hat-trick for the Planters, with Nathan Howard also on target, while Diss' goal came from Jason Cole .
In the First Division, goals from Joe Jackson, Alex Vincent and Roy Harper gave Swaffham a 3-1 home win over Braintree Town Reserves, while Downham Town went down 3-0 at Whitton United.