Dereham Town chairman’s come and support us plea
- Credit: Archant
Passionate chairman Simon Barnes has issued a rallying call to Norfolk's football supporters as in-form Dereham Town look to benefit from Norwich City's away game on Saturday.
The Canaries travel to West Brom for a vital Premier League fixture but back in Nelson's County the Magpies will also be playing in a pivotal match themselves. Matt Henman's promoted troops – playing at the club's highest-ever level in Ryman Division One North – sit fifth after a fantastic start to life at Step Four of the non-league ladder. And with them entertaining third-placed Thurrock Town at the weekend, Barnes wants as many people to get behind the black and whites as possible.
He said: 'With Norwich away why not pay a visit to Aldiss Park? Having not lost a league match during the month of November and having scored 13 goals and conceded only once in the last two matches the lads have put themselves right in the mix at the top of the table.
'We are exceeding all expectations and are thoroughly enjoying the journey we are taking. Although we are averaging well over 170 for our home gates, which is the second highest in our division, we really need to be pushing that up to nearing the 250-plus mark, which when you look at the town itself having 20,000 plus residents is not out of bounds.
'If you look at the likes of Lowestoft Town and King's Lynn Town (both play a level above Dereham) they have a massive advantage due to their excellent attendances and if we are to keep progressing, not only in the level we are currently playing at but also as we look to push to Step Three, we desperately need more supporters through the turnstyle. I can assure you of a warm welcome and some excellent football and hopefully you can play a part by cheering the lads on to hopefully another three points.'
You may also want to watch:
Dereham go into the weekend's tie on the back of an eight-game unbeaten streak in the league.
- 1 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 2 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 3 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 4 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 5 Minke whale washes up on beach
- 6 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 7 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 8 Man seriously injured after crash
- 9 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 10 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich